Latinx Night comes back to campus with flair

Amelia Dewberry-

Last Friday night, students and staff filled Alumni Hall for Latinx Night; a showcase of Latin American culture through both student and professional performances, games, and food hosted by the Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS). This year’s theme was Latindependencia.

First, attendees were welcomed with paletas from La Michoacana. The high-energy event was kicked off by a performance by Alto Designó, a Minneapolis-based band. Dancers from Mis Raices Dance Collective in Mankato performed folk dances and Brazil Arts Twin Cities brought students on-stage for more dancing.

Many members of the Gustavus community also shared their culture and talent on stage.  OLAS Co-President and Senior Anthony Hernandez and next year’s Co-President and current Sophomore Rebeca Bonilla performed a dance, as well as Senior Cristina Sirbu with fellow First-year Daniel López Fernández. Assistant Professor of Philosophy Jon Gill, known as Gilead7, had the audience clapping along to hip-hop. Former Gustie Jasmin Moriera accompanied her father Jorge Moriera’s singing with violin. The evening was capped by a student group dance and Latin American food.

Senior Maritza Beltran shared her poem “Dissolved Borders” about navigating her identity as a second-generation Latina immigrant in majority white communities in the Midwest. “Poetry is one of my artistic outlets that I have trouble sharing — it’s usually a very vulnerable and raw side of my emotions that I try to omit to avoid making people uncomfortable, but as a senior, I felt that I had the comfortability and safe space to share how I felt — and to let others know that it was okay to feel the same way,” Beltran said. She was glad to hear that others had felt similar emotions and were touched by hearing her articulate those feelings.

Next year’s OLAS Co-President Sophomore Sebastian Calderon emphasized the significance of the event for himself and others. “Latinx Night is the one night where I and all the Latinos and Latinas on our campus can share a small part of our culture, and during this night is when I feel very connected back to Ecuador and Mi Gente Latina . . . this event connects not only Latinos but also our diverse campus and community, and by sharing a little about ourselves we can celebrate our differences and develop our cultural competence,” Calderon said. Beltran added that it represents many parts of Latin American culture, specifically “… the things that everyone sees and the parts that we wish to highlight more.”

Planning the night was both enjoyable and stressful for OLAS members, but fulfilling to host a great event, Calderon and Beltran agreed. Calderon attended the E-board planning meetings: “I saw all the members coming together as a team and working through each issue and problem, figuring out each little detail from Latinx Night so it all could run as smoothly as possible. I saw and felt their stress, as they tried to make this the best Latinx Night it could be, and I’m so happy and proud to say that it was.” Beltran felt that learning to manage stress and overcome logistical hiccups was a useful skill to develop.

For many students, “OLAS is a safe space where they can feel a sense of belonging or even find a second family,” Calderon said. “I think OLAS is special because it’s a community, a place for students to find their people, and also where you can learn about other cultures as Latin America is very big and diverse,” Calderon emphasized. He added “One big misunderstanding about OLAS is that it is only for Latin American students when in reality it’s for EVERYONE! All are welcome to join!”