Fliers for a local Christmas concert.

It’s never too early for Christmas music

It’s that time of year again, Gusties. The season has arrived when people begin to think about getting gifts for their loved ones, delicately placing snowmen and other winter-themed decor on their mantles and cozying up with a sweater and a good book for the winter. The temperatures are dropping and with them drop many peoples’ opposition to Christmas and other holiday music. However, some individuals insist that Christmas music should be left until after Thanksgiving to be listened to. Personally, I can’t help but disagree. The arguments against listening to Christmas music beginning Nov. 1 can be easily refuted with a few main points.

The first thing I most commonly hear around this time of year is that if we start listening to Christmas music now, then we skip over Thanksgiving. If that is the case then I ask you: is there music that you listen to you specifically during Thanksgiving?

As far as I know, there is no meritable Thanksgiving music to listen to. Even if there was, the topics would not be ones worth listening to.

Common themes that could arise in Thanksgiving music include but are not limited to: the murder of turkeys, bothersome relatives who relentlessly ask their loved ones why they don’t have a significant other yet and even worse, the genocide of the Native American people.

Personally, I don’t exactly picture myself tuning into those themes on a late November morning while the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade plays on my television screen and my mother boils potatoes.

Additionally, I would think that many of you don’t spend your Thanksgiving day listening to music you hear all year round; I don’t personally picture a situation where I play some Post Malone and Billie Eilish for my grandmother going particularly well. Who knows, maybe your relatives are cooler than mine. Instead, we listen to music that will put us in the holiday spirit. Then comes my next point: if the music you listen to on Thanksgiving is holiday music, then wouldn’t said music technically be dually classified as Thanksgiving music?

Or would Thanksgiving then not count as a holiday, thereby making holiday music only the most appropriate music to which we could listen for the month of November?

The second argument I regularly hear against listening to Christmas music beginning Nov. 1 is that said music will get tiresome after listening to it for the whole month of November and December.

Let me tell you this: the time between November 29-December 25 is simply not enough time to listen to all the Christmas music that has ever been created. Of nearly one million Christmas tracks that exist, you’d barely have enough time to listen to all of Bing Crosby, let alone do justice to Michael Buble, who deserves much more attention all year round.

Additionally, my argument here is not that one has to listen to holiday music beginning Nov. 1, but rather that those of us that wish to do so should be left in peace, so there is no guarantee that you would be made to hear it for that length of time anyway.

Finally, I argue that not all holiday music is directly related to holidays but rather to winter in general.

Songs such as “Walking in a Winter Wonderland,” “Jingle Bells,” and many other holiday classics mention nothing about Christmas or the holidays whatsoever. Many years in Minnesota we get snow before Halloween; in most years, snow is almost guaranteed before Thanksgiving.

What is the harm in listening to weather-appropriate music? We do this in the summer time, when many of us listen to music that encourages us to roll down our windows and go for a ride on a warm sunny day or sit on the beach sipping a cold beverage. The same should apply for cold months; I must protest this double standard.

So, for all you Christmas music-delayers out there, I ask you this: what harm truly comes from allowing the people who can’t get enough of the best time of the year to listen to the best kind of music beginning Nov. 1? I’d encourage you all to be less of a Scrooge this season, and to let those of us who just can’t wait for Santa to listen to our seasonal music without being disturbed.