Advice for the floundering first-year (3/1/19)

Dear first years-

I sure hope that your spring semester has been off to a good start, but more than likely you’ve had a few ups and downs already. I can tell you that the freezing weather has caused me quite a few problems in the last three weeks, but hopefully we are all going to make it through this. As cold as it feels now, remember that spring will eventually come.

However, I know that things aren’t always good, so I wanted to talk about some different resources available to you on campus, in case you need a little extra help getting through the winter.

Health Services– My first year I never went to health services, but now it’s become such a helpful resource for me. We can’t always be healthy, and health services is conveniently located right in the campus center, so you can get an appointment in despite of having a busy schedule. If you need medical help, this is a great resource to turn to.

Counseling Center-In addition to not always being physically well, college students might not always feel mentally healthy. That’s totally okay, though, because Gustavus has a great counseling center and students get 12 free sessions a year. If you’re struggling with any aspect of your mental health, make an appointment with the counseling center. There’s absolutely no shame in utilizing the resources that are available to you, and no problem is ‘too small.’ If it’s bothering you, it’s worth talking about.

Center for Academic Resources and Enhancement (CARE)-Another incredible resource available on campus is the CARE center. A lot of students think of CARE as the office that helps with four-year plans (which they do), but there’s so much more than that. If you think you need test accommodations, help choosing a major, or even tutoring in a class, the CARE center offers all that.

Writing Center-No matter where you are in the writing process, the writing center can help you succeed on your next paper. Transitioning to college writing can be difficult, so if you feel apprehensive about writing a paper, the writing center is the place to go. Don’t feel shy about bringing your paper to the writing center; the staff there would love to help you out.

I hope this review of campus resources is helpful to you as you go about your busy spring semester. Stay warm, Gusties!

-Marie