3OH!3 in 2018!

By Jessica Hastings-Ereth - Opinion Columnist | May 4, 2018 | Opinion

As the big concert approaches I thought I would take a trip down memory lane with everyone because 3OH!3 probably brings you back to your middle school years. 

For those of us who are millennials (Dec. 1995 was the cutoff) many of these things will strike memories, maybe for those even a few years younger than us. 

Today many fads of the 90’s and early 2000’s are coming back into style. 

Plaid (although this has always been in style in Minnesota #lumberjackvogue), black combat boots, dark nail polish, and a lot of bracelets. 

I honestly cannot believe how fast time has gone by, 22 years ago I couldn’t even say a word and here I am writing for the college newspaper. 

I remember the first time I heard 3OH!3. 

I was on the bus on the way home from school in 7th grade and a kid on the bus was singing “do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips” I was so confused until I heard the song. 

This was considered pop, but I guess today it would be more “punk rock” or some electronic punk alternative, which is still confusing. 

As I quote the bowling for soup song 1985 “when did motley cru become classic rock?” 

I think this applies to a lot of “rock or punk rock” music today. It makes me sad how “soft” rock has gotten. 

Keep in mind that these were the days where hot topic was packed, it was hard to wait in line as my mom stood outside the store judging every person going in and out of the store. 

As I come out with my $20 worth of eyeliner and black nail polish my mom would look at me with disgust. 

But she would end up hiding it from me, little did she know I had backups. 

So I was ALWAYS covered when it came to black cosmetics.  

Quite frankly I still know the lyrics to every Alien Ant Farm, Blink 182, Sum 41, and The Used songs. 

So to prepare for this concert I suggest that you get out your bright colored hair extensions, plaid pants, and lots of eyeliner.

In the early 90’s Nirvana recorded their first album, and the rest was history. 

Kurt Cobain was known for some great punk rock. 

After his numerous bands, Including Jimmy eat world, My chemical romance, fall out boy, paramour, and yellowcard really popularized the new “genre” of emo pop punk. 

My roommates occasionally get mad at me for having some “throwback” music moments in the shower, and my bad singing doesn’t help the situation.

As you get out your concert accessories please keep in mind some basic concert etiquette. First of all, don’t be rude. 

Everyone is there for the same reason as you, so be courteous to those around you. 

Don’t push and shove around. 

I am not sure how seating works, but if you are worried about a good spot, just get there earlier. 

Then you don’t have to worry about crowds or unwanted yelling. 

Second, please don’t scream so loud no one can hear anything. 

In my personal experience there is nothing worse than being next to a person who is screaming the entire concert and you end up missing everything, not to mention your eardrums are SOL. 

Next, wear deodorant, no one, and I mean no one, wants to stand next to the person who smells like they were on survivor for two weeks, that ruins the experience for everyone around you. 

On that same note, don’t wear an obnoxious amount of perfume either, people may have bad allergies to different scents. 

And as adults we don’t need to smell like a 7th grade locker room, with axe or victoria secret body sprays. 

Lastly, don’t get up in everyone’s business. 

By that I mean standing ridiculously close to one another. 

You will probably not know everyone around you, and the last thing I would want is to have random people touching me because the place is so packed. 

Please be considerate and have some physical boundaries, everyone needs their personal space. 

Remember that if you don’t want someone that close to you, you shouldn’t be that close to those around you. 

So stay safe, have fun, and sing along.