Seniors Share their Thoughts on their Last Semester

Natasha Behboudi
Major: Elementary Education and Psychology

What are your plans after Gustavus?
After graduation I am hoping to get a teaching position close to the cities.

What’s most exciting about the last semester of college?
It is an exciting and scary feeling because of how unknown the future really is, but it is exciting to be with everyone knowing we all need to make the most of our time together! We know we should do all the things we haven’t gotten to do or that we love doing all the time because we might not get to do it after graduation.

What are you most worried about going into the last semester?
I am most nervous about job applications and missing out on things at times! There is so much going on all the time, and I don’t want to look back and wish I had made more time to go to an event. I want to make the most out of my time remaining here. I think it is going to be important to remember classes are important, but not so important that you should miss out on everything going on around you! Since I am student teaching I am making a large effort to balance all areas of life so I do not get burned out. Job applications and interviews are just scary because they feel like so much pressure, and it is hard to really know what to totally expect in any situation.

What is something you’ll miss about college?
Living so close to my friends

What is something you won’t miss about college?
Tuition

What’s your best college memory?
I brought trays to my friend in the library one night when I was avoiding homework and she was being productive, and I forced her to go traying spontaneously!

What’s something you would’ve changed about your college experience?
I wouldn’t have signed up for so many things my first few years. Gustavus students can feel a lot of pressure to be over involved. I have felt much better being able to focus on a few things I like instead of spreading myself so thin with things I didn’t love.

What’s something you still want to do this semester that you haven’t done yet that would complete your college experience?
I’ve been trying to get my friends to play wiffle ball for years. If I can convince them to enjoy a beautiful day in the arb playing, then that would be something to complete my college experience. I don’t know why I want to play wiffle ball so badly with them, but it sounds fun!

Shailagh Lannon
Major: Communications Studies

What are your plans after Gustavus?
After I graduate I will be moving to Tulsa, Oklahoma to begin my journey with Teach for America as an early childhood educator. I’ll be down there for two years (or maybe more if I end up loving the South), and eventually I plan to move back to Minnesota, get involved in local politics, and start a family.

During this final semester on the hill, I am most excited about the way I’ve set up my schedule – I spend two days per week taking classes and spend the other three days interning at the YWCA in Mankato. It’s really nice being able to spend this last semester transitioning into work life while also taking advantage of my last semester working with the incredible professors in the Communication Studies department.

I think that my biggest worry for this final semester is missing out on all of the opportunities Gustavus offers. Once I leave this place, I’ll no longer have access to all of the wonderful events that CAB and other organizations put on. I hope to take advantage of these opportunities while also remembering that it’s okay to not do everything.

I am really going to miss living in a residential community. College is the only place I’ll get to experience living in such a close knit community until I live in a retirement home, so I want to soak up every minute of it.

I’m not going to miss doing homework. It will feel incredible to leave work and not have hours of work to do once I’m home – I’ll be able to watch TV or go to a workout class without feeling guilty for procrastinating.

What is your best college memory?
My best college memory isn’t a moment; rather, my favorite memory is spending so many of my moments with people that I love.

If I could go back and change one thing about my college experience, I would probably choose to attend more sporting events. I really love watching gymnastics, so I’d probably go back and watch all of the home meets.

What is something you still want to do this semester that you haven’t done yet that would complete your college experience?
I’ve actually never been traying before – that’s something I definitely want to do before leaving the hill.

Tommy Lindquist
Major: English

What are your plans after Gustavus?
I’m currently applying and interviewing at a few different grad programs for a degree in student affairs, all in Minnesota! I’m also contemplating simply moving out to the cities for a year or two, and embracing the ambiguity for a little while.

I find it most exciting to be seeing all the people I’ve been surrounded by these past 4 years start to iron out whatever their future plans are. Seeing how some peers have grown and changed since first year has been so cool to see, and it’s just awesome to see what everyone is wanting to do with their time after Gustavus.

What are you most worried about going into last semester?
I suppose I’m most worried about embracing the senior free fall. I’m usually a (pretty) focused student, and I do really enjoy classes, but I’m nervous that I might be too focused on rounding out the year with other experiences that my academics might slide.

Hands down, the community. It’s a special time of your life to be surrounded by people your age, with some many who might share passions. It’s a really special, collaborative place, and I will miss that a lot.

What’s something you won’t miss about college?
I won’t miss the walk from Pittman to the Campus Center in the dead of winter. Easy.

What’s your best college memory?
I have absolutely loved my time in the all male a capella group GSharp. It’s hard to pick a favorite memory, but I’d have to say that my favorite memories are the late night rehearsals, when we have to cram before a show. They usually end with total shenanigans, like dancing and shouting around room 214 at 11:00 PM.

This is a tough one. On one hand, I wish I would’ve put myself out there more during my first year, and met more people from my floor, but I also struggle picking something to change. With how many amazing memories and opportunities I’ve found throughout my time here, it’s hard to say that any change I could make would be worth potentially losing what I have now.

I’d like to make a difference here, some sort of little, lasting mark that can be a positive force for the campus. Broad goal, maybe, but I’m trying to make it happen.

Megan Johnson (MJ)
Major: English and History

What are your plans after Gustavus?
After Gustavus I plan to teach English abroad in either Japan or Vietnam. So far, my plan looks relatively solid! At this moment I am a potential Fulbright Scholar and JET participant.

The most exciting part of the last semester is knowing that I have been able to conquer all of the obstacles the last three years dealt to me. I have survived at least seven midterm weeks, four move-in days, and I narrowly passed both of my ACT/FIT credits. It’s been quite the time.

What are you most worried about going into the last semester? And why?
I am worried about staying organized. The thought of graduating does not scare me. Yet, I know that I am the type of person to procrastinate or lose an assignment somewhere under the piles of junk in my dorm. I would hate to cram all of my assignments and projects at the end of the semester when I could be with friends outside.

I’m going to miss being a Gustie Greeter during first-year orientation. I love the square dance and uncomfortable “get-to-know-you” games! I have many fond memories of orientation and I hope that I have been able to facilitate some of those with first-years. Granted, I hope I have helped make good memories and not awkward ones.

I would have paid more attention to the fact that I am an introvert. While it is great to push yourself to be in multiple activities and go to multiple campus events, wellbeing should always come first.

What’s your best college memory?
During my Junior year, I went to Boise State University with the speech team to compete at a national tournament. My teammates and I had a formative experience as we performed and networked with college students across the county. I also achieved one of my life goals at that tournament. I won the “All-American” award which is given to students who display excellence in the community, classroom, and at tournaments. It was meaningful as I knew that I wouldn’t be where I am today without the activity.

Maybe this is because I am in Astronomy at the moment, but I think I want to stargaze in the arb. I think I have relatively low-maintenance desires.

Ellie Sherwin
Major: Communication Arts/Literature Teaching

What are your plans after Gustavus?
I plan on teaching high school English in Minnesota. Hopefully down the road I will have the chance to teach abroad.

The most exciting thing about my last semester of college is student teaching. Gustavus has given me so many opportunities to be in the classroom, and this semester is completely dedicated to using the skills I’ve learned to become a great teacher.

Like most seniors, I’m nervous about job hunting season. Thankfully, I was a student worker with the Gustavus Career Development, so I know a bunch of tools and tricks when creating my resume and preparing for job interviews.

The people, of course. It will be difficult not seeing my friends, my residents (since I was a CF for two years), my professors, and my roommates almost everyday

Those super fun tuition payments…oh, wait, I have student loans…never mind

What is your main goal for this semester?
Besides graduating from Gustavus, my main goal is to take advantage of the time I have left and spend it with my amazing, fellow Gusties!

What’s your best college memory?
Any time I got together with friends in my apartment for a pancake party, because breakfast is a meal best shared with the people you love!

I wish I would have studied abroad but I was never able to fit it into my four years.

I still have my “List of 100 (or so) Things To Do Before You Graduate” from the PAs, and I’ve been checking them off the last four years. Of course there are some on the list that are not feasible to complete (like studying abroad) but my goal is to finish as much as possible.

Ethan Forney
Major: Health and Physical Education

What are your plans after Gustavus?
My intention after college was to travel internationally or pursue living the “van life,” throughout America. The education system will always be there, therefore, I didn’t want to settle into a job where I only began thinking about my retirement funding. As of now, I have applied to work as a Assistant Professor of Health and Physical Education at University International College (UIC) in Zhuhai, China. My focus is on this job, yet I will have to wait till May to find out about the acceptance.

It would have to be the fact that I know I have another semester left and that I get to spend one more time with the enjoyable relationships I have made on this campus. When they said that college is the best time of your life, I fully agree. I can’t say I am even close or have even thought about saying, “I am ready to leave this place.” I could stay in college for quite some time.

I’m most worried, yet also stoked, about the high expectation of what it means to be successful after college and how you’re needing to find a “real” job. I was once told you need to make heavy amounts of money to be successful after college…and that you also need to go into the degree you studied. To all of it, I said BS. I won’t confine my life to one area of study when I have multiple areas of interest. Life is too short to not be what you want to be. For all I know, we aren’t guaranteed tomorrow. With that, I won’t be an outsider of life because I engage and embrace in it!

The access in having one of the best relationships of your life being right around the corner.

Quiet hours, Gen Eds, and the few times I didn’t do the readings but during class that day, the professor chooses me to explain a theory to the entire class and I’m left smiling at my classmates,

What’s your best college memory?
Studying abroad in Australia and New Zealand where some of us got to surf at Bondi Beach and where I got stung by a “Jellybean.” It was a jellyfish….I told the lifeguards I got stung by a jellybean…Also traveling to El Paso, Texas and Winston-Salem, North Carolina for Habitat for Humanity with a large group of Gusties you know nothing about, yet come back to the Hill with knowing so much.

Run a Kubb tournament, explore more of the downtown St. Peter, and have a grill out with professors, admin, and mentors.

To indulge in every last minute I have on the hill, particularly with the relationships here.