Gustie of the Week – Sylvia Michels

Whether it was on stage, in class, or just around campus, at some point you have likely seen the talented and radiantly joyful Sylvia Michels, and felt a little better about your day. It’s a real challenge to catch her when she isn’t smiling, or intently focused on her work; she is often doing both.

Sylvia is a senior theatre honors major who keeps herself very involved at Gustavus. She has worked in the nursing department all of her four years, is a singer in the Choir of Christ Chapel, an active member of the resident social justice theatre troop I Am We Are, and practically lives in the theatre building for various classes and activities.

“She involves herself, not out of pressure, but because she has so many things she wants to accomplish and so many things she wants to see being done on this campus and beyond. It’s inspiring,” her friend and fellow theatre major Andy Lupinek said.

In her time outside of the classroom, Sylvia works in the nursing department and sings in the Choir of Christ Chapel.

Lupinek has worked extensively with Sylvia during their time together here, which includes acting as Co-President of Chapel Choir with her, and the two co-facilitating I Am We Are.

Between classes and performances, Sylvia packs a lot of time and effort into the theatre department every semester, which she loves doing thanks to the people she works with.

“You don’t get to pick your family—but you get to pick theatre, and I think that makes it better than family,” Sylvia said.

Lupinek thinks that  Sylvia’s exuberent positivity has  a large impact on those around her.                              

“She cares so deeply about other people, and it radiates off of her,” Lupinek said. “Her energy is infectious, and her love is overflowing.”

The love that she has for others is apparent in the friendships she has. Fellow senior and longtime friend Sadie LaPlante has a difficult time determining her favorite memory from her times with Sylvia.

“How do I just pick one? I have way too many favorite memories with her to just pick one,” LaPlante said.

Lupinek recounted one of his fondest times spent with her from freshman year.

“A group of friends stayed up all night to watch the Blood Moon. I remember watching romantic comedies and playing games. It was so effortlessly fun with Sylvia there, I loved every second of it,” Lupinek said

One particularly remarkable part of Sylvia’s experience at Gustavus actually took place very far from it, during her semester abroad in India in the fall semester of her junior year.

“I want to have a positive impact on the world, to let the opportunity pass by would have felt wrong,” Sylvia said. “What even is the world? I wanted to get to know someone else’s corner of it.”

In all of her various adventures and challenges, Sylvia is never one to hit a wall.

“She radiates composure, which is not to say that she does not experience stress, but rather she handles the stressors in her life with grace and organization,” LaPlante said.

As someone who has done so much for the Gustavus community and those around her, Sylvia’s advice could be worthwhile to underclassmen.

“Make it a priority to qualify yourself. YOU are good enough,” Sylvia said.

She advises students to not always compare themselves to others.

“Don’t worry about trying to be a Gustie. YOU are constantly defining and stretching what being a Gustie is,” she said.

Lupinek thinks this campus is blessed to have such a kind, fun-loving and wise young woman.

“When I think of what it means to be a Gustie, I think of Sylvia. She embodies what Gustavus strives to be,” Lupinek said.