College should feel like an adventure

While it’s only been a month since I have attended Gustavus Adolphus College, it feels like I have been here for an eternity.Literally. I’m not even joking.

That is exactly what it seems considering all the overwhelming information that has been thrown at us first-years during this time period.

For instance, there was Welcome Week with all the exciting, jam-packed events such as the Square Dance, the President’s Banquet, or Work Orientation. If that wasn’t enough, we attended our first full week of classes, which was quite the transition for many students.

I sure know it was for me. I wasn’t used to all the freedom that came with having to plan out my schedule.

It was always so structured in high school.

The K-12 system organized what we did for seven hours during the day.

For me, my day began with the following: wake up, go to school, attend activities, go home, study, and repeat that all over again with the same routine.

This particular schedule was laid out for students.

However, in college it hits students in the face with how much independence they have.

It also shocks them with the overload of homework they are assigned.

It may seem like they have all the time in the world, but it is tough when there are other obligations besides college such as sports and music they want to do.

Not only that, but the Involvement Fair which tempts people to sign up for a billion different things.

Trust me. I signed up for about 15 different clubs just because they looked interesting.

And I know I am not the only one.

There are tons of students who want to get involved (which is actually pretty amazing).

With all of this in mind, people have the urge to work out or spend time with their friends.

This is their way to get rid of the stress or just have some fun once in awhile.

There’s honestly so many hours in a day that people have time to do all of this, let alone be mentally sane.

And again, I can relate to the sanity part: just ask my Co-Ed section.

Even though all of this can be quite overwhelming and you might ask yourself, “What is the point of all this? Is it even worth it?” or “Ugh, I have so many things to do in such a short amount of time. I’m never gonna get it done,” think of your college experience as a splendid adventure.

It is a time where you should be enjoying yourself, instead of letting the stress and urgency take over you.

Do not let all of your obligations blindside you from living your life to the fullest and being mentally at peace with yourself.

Even though it can be difficult to look at the positive side, people must do this in order to make college an amusing experience.

Now, I am not saying this is easy. I have struggled with this myself ever since coming here.

It can be really hard trying to block out all the negativity of having to get countless amounts of work done in a short amount of time.

It just seems to hang over you like a dark cloud.

However, students can make it better by changing their perspective on the situation.

By seeing college as a pleasurable endeavour, it can initiate a significant change within themselves as a student and an individual.

They can be relieved to attend college with a peaceful mind, so they do not have to constantly worry about all the demanding tasks.

When allowing the mindset to be calm, it can help ease the pressure that college puts on. By changing your attitude and how you view school in general, it can help further your knowledge in the most effective way.

For instance, you do not have to learn one concept in class and forget about immediately after the test.

You can continue to ponder the information.

It can help you get a greater value out of your education, and also appreciate it more.

Do not see college as a place where you must get an “A” on every assignment in order to be successful.

It is much more than that. It is about creating yourself so you can make an impactful difference in the world.

In my view, that is the real goal and purpose of education.