Beneath the Crown (9/23/16)

What is a big challenge that you faced in your life, and how did you handle it?

“The first thing that comes to mind, being in college, is that my mom died during my freshman year, in January. It was kind of out of nowhere. The additional fact of it being freshman year helped exaggerate it a lot.

I dealt with it pretty poorly at first. It took me about four months to actually go to the Wellbeing Center on campus and try to have someone else help me deal with it. One of the most constructive things I did with this is that I took Public Discourse the following spring.

I decided to make my project about helping students at my high school whose parents are alcoholics, drug abusers, things like that, because that’s what ended up killing my mom. I wanted to get those students help, because I know I struggled with that a lot in high school, and there weren’t really any resources available. That was how I really dealt with it positively once I sorted myself out.”

What’s one of the greatest feats you’ve ever accomplished?

“I’m one of the first people in my family to go to a four-year college. Well, first one who will graduate, anyway. My dad was at York for two and a half years or so, but really was only there for football. So my being here and earning the scholarships that I did earn was really a big accomplishment for me and my family.”

What kind of advice would you give to someone facing a challenge in their life?

“For any challenge, it seriously helps to talk to someone. It can be one of the most difficult things to do, because I know that a lot of people probably think ‘I really don’t want to just sit there and complain to someone,’ but it’s really helpful for you. Also, you don’t really know what the person you’re talking to is going through either, so often having somebody just listen to what you’re struggling with can help that person as well.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.