Gustie of the Week – Matt Broschard

Last semester, as Senior Matt Broschard sat typing email after email to various professors, inquiring about graduate schools, he decided to quickly throw in at the end of each email that he’d be free in the month of January if any research opportunities happened to be available.

Little did he know that this small act of proactivity was soon to land him a four-week opportunity as research observer at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.

“It was especially impactful because I used to be really nervous and hesitant about my decision to apply to graduate school for psychology. I wasn’t sure if I was ready. But when I received this opportunity, I told myself that if I went and enjoyed the experience, then I’d know I was ready for grad school. That’s much more solidified for me now,” Matt said.

Long before he was faced with grad school applications, Matt had known he was interested in psychology.

At Gustavus, as he delved into studies and research he began to develop a more specific interest in cognitive psychology and his excitement for learning hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Matt’s peers describe him as kind and passionate.

“I think that overtime, Matt has become more outgoing yet he remains true to himself and to his interests. I have enjoyed seeing his development as a scientist and his excitement from the research experiences he’s acquired.” Adjunct Instructor in Biology Eric Elias said.

Along with a passion for science, Matt also maintains a love for music. As well as being President of the Gustavus Wind Orchestra (GWO) he’s been involved with many percussionist ensembles on campus, and as in the science department, Matt’s efforts in music attract praise as well.

Matt spent his J-term as a research observer at Vanderbilt University.

“It was clear to me immediately that he leads by example and is respected by his peers. As the new director of GWO I was also very impressed with how Matt embraced change with maturity and grace. Matt’s kindness and leadership stood-out to me on day one,” Professor of the Gustavus Wind Orchestra James Patrick Miller said.

Along with science and music, Matt plays an active role volunteering for Big Partner Little Partner and Pound Pals.

“In addition to being sincere and intelligent, he is gentle and kind. It’s apparent in his volunteering with Pound Pals and also in the way he interacts with his peers,” Assistant Professor and Conductor of the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra Ruth Lin said.

As his four years at Gustavus inch closer to an end, Matt says that he hopes to continue his studies, get into grad school, but also maintain the relationships he’s built.

“A huge part of my experience here has been the way that I’ve been able to grow in regards to creating and developing relationships so it’s very important to me that I make sure I maintain the relationships I’ve created so that even after my time at Gustavus, I will continue to have them in my life,” Matt said.