Track and Field head to Twin Cities for season finale

This weekend, the Gustavus Men’s and Women’s Track & Field teams will travel to Macalester College to compete in the MIAC Outdoor Championships. One must first qualify in order to compete in the Championship meet. For many field events, an athlete must be in the top twenty competitors in their respective event prior to the meet to qualify. For running events, the qualification process varies from event to event.
The Gusties will have many qualifiers for the meet, as Head Coach Dale Bahr explained there are over fifteen men, as well as women that will qualify for the meet.
“We always want to improve from year to year individually and get in the top 3 as a team,” Bahr said.
The athletes are looking forward to the meet, some knowing it could be their last collegiate competition.
“My personal expectations are to win conference and to qualify for the national meet. I’m going to give it all I got and will go with confidence because it could be my last meet and I want to go out with a bang. I am blessed and excited to compete for the Gusties at the conference meet,” Senior Captain Nick Carlson said.
Carlson, who also takes part in the 100 meter and 200 meter dashes, is currently ranked third in the MIAC in the Javelin Throw. Elizabeth Weiers, top ranked hammer thrower in the MIAC, believes everyone will peak at the Championships.
“My personal goal and my goal for the team is for everyone to have their best meet of the season at conference. There is nothing better than beating your seed in the conference meet,” Weiers said.
Although many athletes are waiting for their form to top at the Championships, Coach Bahr is happy many of them have already beat their own personal bests this year.
“This season, both the men and women’s teams are competing very well. At some point, the vast majority of the athletes have had Personal Records,” Bahr said.
All athletes participating this weekend plan to continue on their successes of the season and hopefully tally a personal record at the MIAC Championships.

-Jacob Woodrich