Ultimate Frisbee club enjoying spring competition

Here on The Hill, there is a club team requiring no past experience that many Gusties may not know about. That team is the Men’s Ultimate Frisbee Team. The roster ranges from a number of First-Years to multiple Seniors. Without coaches, captains administer practices, organize competitions, and handle other coach-like duties. The team participates in tournaments against schools like Gustavus, but also larger Division I schools, like the University of Minnesota.

“Anyone can join. It’s literally as simple as showing up to practice, which are typically held four days a week. We have individuals from varying levels of experience, from never playing before joining, to having played in high school,” Senior Team Captain Max Stelzner said.

The team is also unique in that they do not compete in single games, but rather tournaments. The tournaments typically consist of over five games within two to three days. The team has competed in five tournaments this year. Most recently, the team took part in their section tournament this past weekend in Rochester, where the Gusties had a strong showing.

Most importantly, playing Ultimate here at Gustavus is all about enjoyment.

“My experience with the team has been one of the most positive parts of my time at Gustavus,” Stelzner said.

“I learned about the team from my brother, who is a Junior this year. I’m very glad that I joined. It’s a great time with a great bunch of guys,” First-year Johnny Pavek said.

The atmosphere of the sport is positive, resulting in a great time participating in the great sport of Ultimate Frisbee. For those interested, beginners can get an idea of the sport at any practice, which typically end in scrimmages.

-Jacob Woodrich