Symphony Orchestra Fall Concert

Despite the busy semester for the Music Department, the faculty and musicians are continuing the Gustavus tradition of dedication to their performances. The concert is Directed by Dr. Lin and will feature the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra in a concert open to the public.

Assistant Professor in Music Ruth Lin has been conducting the symphony orchestra since 2010. The symphony orchestra has had a long and deep history on campus after its establishment back in 1888. As the official touring orchestra ensemble at Gustavus, the group has toured internationally to the British Isles, the People’s Republic of China, and South Africa. Having just performed at this year’s 50th Nobel Conference, and currently preparing their performance for Christmas in Christ Chapel, the symphony orchestra is a vital part of the music department here at Gustavus.

“Hopefully this concert will show the love the students and I have for music.”—Ruth Lin

With nearly seventy members, only a quarter of them being music majors, Dr. Lin spoke of the diversity found within music.

“75% of the students are not music majors, making it a very diverse part of campus. I think they are always a fantastic bunch and I’m always amazed at their dedication. The way they are able to play music and be so dedicated even though most of them are not majors, they do it because of their love for music. Hopefully this concert will show the love the students and I have for music,” Dr. Lin stated.

“The audience can expect a variety of sounds within the Schubert, and the flute concerto is going to be really amazing.”—Emily Weltzin

Known for performing a broad selection of symphonic repertoire, the concert will feature two pieces. The Gustavus Symphony Orchestra, known for performing with faculty and guest soloist, will see their first piece joined alongside with a flute soloist. Barb Leibundguth, adjunct instructor in Music and Music-Instrumental, will be playing the flute along with the orchestra for “Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, op. 8” by Otar Grodeli (1928-1994).

Dr. Lin talked about how the entire rehearsal process is as much as a kick as the actually performance is.

“Music ensembles live in such a weird vacuum in which there is no other classes that completely revolves around group projects. Most of these students I have for four years and I get to see them develop.  Musically playing different pieces open different benchmarks. This semester itself has had a lot of things going on, so while the students may just be a bit burned off, I am extremely proud of how much work they have done. We are always setting these high bars that we reach and in return we keep setting higher bars. We are taking a journey together even if it sounds a bit cheesy. I’m extremely proud of them and nothing makes me happier than going into rehearsals with them,” Dr. Lin said.

Sophomore and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Major Emily Weltzin is one of the many members of the symphony orchestra. Having played the viola for the orchestra for the past year and a half, she has had a great time with the symphony orchestra so far.

“Being part of the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra has been a very positive experience for me. I’ve enjoyed the music we’ve played, and there are so many great people in the ensemble so it’s always a nice way to end my day. I am looking forward to being a part of the final result, and letting the audience hear the progress we’ve made. The audience can expect a variety of sounds within the Schubert, and the flute concerto is going to be really amazing,” Weltzin said.

Along with this concert and Christmas in Christ Chapel, those in the orchestra can look forward to their next international tour in January 2016 to Greece and Turkey.

Open and free for everyone to attend, the concert will be on Nov. 9 at 1:30 p.m. in the Bjorling Recital Hall. Dr. Lin and her students hope that those who attend the event witness the excitement and electricity they have been working hard to put into the show.

-Dan Vruno