Quit Reading This Article and Get Back to Work

Procrastination is such a wonderful and terrible thing, all at the same time. On one hand, it can prevent you from doing homework and getting good grades. On the other hand, you get to watch Netflix, play video games, eat food, sleep, eat food, and watch more Netflix.

Either way, procrastination can seem pretty great and allow you to have fun; which, don’t get me wrong, is important. If you don’t take a break, everything gets way harder. However, take breaks in moderation.

I am not exempt from having a procrastination problem. It’s true, but I’m working on it. Remember that while it is important to have fun and enjoy yourself, you are also in college, so you do have homework. That is if you came here looking for a “degree,” whatever that is.

“Either way, procrastination can seem pretty great andallow you to have fun;which, don’t get me wrong, is important. If you don’t take a break, everything gets way harder. However, take breaks in moderation.”

Homework can be boring. I know, it’s shocking, but it’s totally true. Homework is one hurdle that you must leap if you want your “degree.” I know it seems like a weak trade-off but you’re just going to have to deal with it. We all have to do homework. We’re in this together, and we’re rooting for you. You can do it. Other people graduated, so it’s totally possible, even if it seems tough.

There are ways to go about studying and getting yourself to do homework. You could go to the library, chill on the 3rd floor. If This floor is actually a silent floor, so if you like quiet places, this is thefloor for you.

If you don’t, anywhere else will probably work ranging from your room to a study lounge in Beck.

You could also listen to music. Pick your favorite album, turn it on, and jam out to it as you do your homework. It’ll put you in a much better mood. It’s ear magic. However, don’t let your music turn into procrastination as you start singing along and dancing without realizing that your roommate is taping you. That could be a problem at some point. Just saying, not from experience or anything.

You could make a list of things you need to do, and set a time when you want them done by. It gives you a schedule and an order to do those things in. If you need some structure, maybe this is the solution for you. Don’t stress if not everything gets done though. The schedule is there for some structure, but you can’t expect to get everything done perfectly all of the time. Life happens.There are tons of ways to study, so buck up kiddo.

Finally, there’s an approach that surprisingly makes a lot of sense. Here’s the idea: if you take the time to procrastinate and leave some homework to the side, while you may be enjoying yourself now, it will be stressful later. So why leave it to fester, when you can get it done now?

Now, this isn’t the strategy for everyone. Sometimes you need to kick back and relax because if you work for too long, sometimes you actually begin to lose focus. I’m one of those people. I end up staring at the book, worksheet, screen, and not getting anything done. So, if you can focus and get everything done right away, more power to you.Get that stuff done.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Why am I reading this article when I could be doing homework, or eating, or anything really?”

That’s a very good question. Why are you? I’m certainly not forcing you to read this. If you find this entertaining, then is it worth it? If not, get back to work. There’s stuff to be done and things to be earned.

-Cameron MacDonald

3 thoughts on “Quit Reading This Article and Get Back to Work