GUSTIE of the WEEK: Richard Green

Richard Green was just about to put his deposit for Saint John’s University into the mailbox sitting before him when out of the corner of his eye he noticed the black and gold clad toddler peddling slowly past on his tricycle. In a swift leap of faith, Richard tore up the envelope and headed home to prepare his deposit for Gustavus. Now a junior, he’s never wished to wear any school colors than that black and gold he noticed just three summers ago.

“I think when I saw those colors, something just clicked in my head and I knew I had to come here. I wouldn’t change that decision for the world. I’ve had an incredible couple of years here at Gustavus. I’ve had so many memories and moments that have created an experience I wouldn’t have received anywhere else,” Richard said.

Within his past two years at Gustavus, Richard has been able to shape a distinct niche in the community of black and gold, making friends with ease.

“Richard’s personality is one that upon meeting him, he emanates a sense of charisma that is seldom seen. He is motivated and has a very strong entrepreneurial nature. His is fun loving, talkative, and just an all around awesome person,” Junior Danny Pavek said.

“I approached him with the idea and convinced him that this was the right way to go. Richard helped every step of the way and I can truly say that the Kappas would not be on campus if it weren’t for the structured support ofRichard.”—Mitch Ryks

Alongside creating a strong network of friends, Richard has also been a member of the GOLD program, a mascot, a CAO desk representative and Vice President of the Kappa Sigma Chi fraternity, which he helped to re-establish at Gustavus this year alongside Junior Mitch Ryks.

“When I was first thinking about trying to reinstate a fraternity on campus, I knew that I wanted Richard to be a big part of it. At the time, he was actually in the middle of pledging for a different chapter. I approached him with the idea and convinced him that this was the right way to go. Richard helped every step of the way and I can truly say that the Kappas would not be on campus if it weren’t for the structured support of Richard,” Ryks said.

Richard’s personality and charisma are apparent to everyone who gets to know him.

Richard and Ryks were looking through the Gustavus archives for a fraternity that would expand on their desired morals when they came across the Kappa Sigma Chi fraternity that had been founded in 1914. They were instantly taken with the elaborate constitution written by the previous brothers.

“I think the people who had first started it were also members of the Philosopher’s Guild so the way the constitution was written to explain their morals and brotherhood really stood out to me,” Richard said.

The two worked tirelessly last year to receive recognition of the fraternity from Gustavus and when the word finally came, they both shared one of their most exciting moments at Gustavus.

“When I got the email telling me that the fraternity was receiving recognition from Gustavus, I was walking back to my dorm room. I read the email and started sprinting back to the dorm. I ran straight to Richard’s room where I found him cleaning. I don’t think I even said a word, I just started yelling with excitement and jumped on top of his shoulders,” Ryks said.

Their dedication has paid off after a year of perseverance. Now, Richard looks back on the memory as not only a satisfying accomplishment but also a great lesson in leadership, perseverance and camaraderie.

Richard and the rest of the new Kappas are proudly wearing their letters on campus.

“I learned leadership skills and it was satisfying to have our hard work pay off but I think the biggest impact has been to finally have a niche that is about more than just fitting in. I now understand leadership, education, and community on a much greater level and fuse them into my everyday life. I feel so much more accomplished and full now,” Richard said.

As a Biology Major, Richard has his eye set on graduate school in the future. He’s chosen to take a step back and give up some of his responsibility to the other members of the fraternity in order to focus on school but he says this memory will stand out in his mind as one to tell his kids.

“The restoration of a past fraternity is a milestone for the whole campus and for Richard and Ryks to have made this happen is amazing and worthy of Gustie of the Week,” Pavek said.

-Jaurdyn Dobler