Gustie of the Week: Ian Elletson

One of the best things about Gustavus students are how they not only take action when it comes to the world around them, but also have vibrant personalities.  Junior Computer Science Major Ian Elletson embodies both these qualities.

Ian chose to be a computer science major because he loves to program, and he likes math.  One of Ian’s favorite parts of being at Gustavus is the architecture.

“I think the columbarium is really cool, and I’m happy we can have such cool architecture like that and the Gustavus 150 memorial on our campus. I love walking down the path of all the presidents and looking up in awe at the statue. I like to know that there is a place for me to rest here at Gustavus,” Ian said.

Ian is well known for his contributions as the Vice President for the Gustavus Secular Student Alliance (SSA). The SSA is an organization that attempts to help non-religious students on campus by having conversations about secular thought, growing a strong and visible non-religious community, and developing a safer environment for secular students.

Ian is proud of his passion for lawn care and yo-yo. Allison Hosman

“I am involved because I enjoy the people who are also members, and I love the meetings. They challenge my opinions, and they challenge me to think. I feel strongly compelled to make the world more secular,” Ian said.

Ryan Liebl has been one of Ian’s friends since last spring when Ian began to attend SSA meetings regularly and help run the group. Liebl expressed his appreciation of Ian’s work in the organization.

“Ian is extremely devoted to the cause of secularism, and I can always trust him to take care of any SSA business when I’m away. He’s also a skilled discussion leader and is part of the reason SSA meetings are, on average, two hours and almost always enlightening and enjoyable. He’s also designed the vast majority of the SSA’s posters this year, given his photoshop skills,” Liebl said.

Ian also has hobbies and interests outside of campus that are quite intriguing.  While most roll their eyes when it comes time to mow the lawn, Ian has a smile on his face when revving up his mower.

“I enjoy mowing my lawn and walking barefoot in the freshly cut grass. There’s nothing that gets my goat like lawn care. I like to grill (using propane!) on a nice summer afternoon after mowing. I trim hedges for fun, too. Sometimes into animals,” Ian said.

Liebl also expressed his views on Ian’s personality and hobbies.  He finds Ian quirky, but interesting.

“He’s passionate about lawn care–especially mowing lawns and trimming hedges. His other hobby is yo-yo, and I’ve seen him do some amazing tricks. He’s also surprisingly high-brow when it comes to butter and yoga. For whatever reason, he rather dislikes birthdays. He shares this opinion with me quite a bit,” Liebl said.

Ian’s work doesn’t just lie in being in SSA and lawn care, however.  He is also the representative for the Diversity Leadership Council (DLC). Co-chair of the Diversity Leadership Council Becca Eastwood has given her thoughts on Ian’s work for the DLC.

Ian wants YOU to be in Secular Student Alliance. Allison Hosman

“Ian has a very fun-loving personality. When he comes across something he is passionate about, he is not afraid to work hard to see it through.  He has been a representative to DLC for about a semester and he is an invaluable member of the council. He contributes fantastic insight and is always ready with relevant questions.

Ian has also done fantastic things for the Secular Student Alliance. He has become an important spokesperson for the group and has worked incredibly hard to bring this perspective to the Gustavus campus.

He is not afraid of difficult conversations and simultaneously brings an open mind.  Ian is also instrumental in the planning of Diversity Week (April 22-26) on campus,” Eastwood said.

For his quirky personality and his work towards the Secular Student Alliance and Diversity Leadership Council, Ian is one Gustie that brightens the world around him.