Gustie of the Week: Lindsey Hjelm

On the ice she holds the most penalties at Gustavus, but after she takes off the helmet, Senior Lindsey Hjelm warms hearts and inspires kindness.

Lindsey has played competitive hockey since high school. She has made herself known on the ice, being named Gustavus’

January Student-Athlete of the Month, the MIAC Women’s Hockey Athlete of the Week and scoring her first career hat trick on Jan. 26, 2013.

She may be intimidating on the ice but one look at Lindsey’s smile shows how caring and compassionate she truly is. Mara LeBlanc

“Lindsey is extremely competitive and plays with a chip on her shoulder, but at the same time is a compassionate and caring teammate,” Head Women’s Hockey Coach Mike Carroll said.

Having the opportunity to get to know her twenty-four teammates has given Lindsey another group of friends to call family.

“It has been really great to get so close to my teammates. As a senior this time around I have enjoyed the chance to help and support the underclassmen with both hockey and academics,” Lindsey said.

The women’s hockey team is undefeated, with one game ending in a tie. Lindsey has ten goals so far in the season, and she is looking forward to the rest of her senior season.

“I admire Lindsey for all the different organizations, groups and activities that she is involved in besides hockey. On top of that she is a very talented student that takes no short cuts in getting great grades,” Carroll said.

Off the ice, Lindsey is a pre med biology major with minors in studio art and religion. She is studying for the MCAT to reach

When Lindsey isn’t on the ice she is busy studying for the MCAT to persue her goal of going to med school. Mara LeBlanc

her goal of going to med school. She is a member of Tri Beta, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Guild of Lucia as well as a Gustie Greeter and a Peer Mentor for biology and chemistry.

Alongside a full class schedule and the time commitments with organizations, Lindsey spends two days lifting and two to three days doing yoga with teammates. With games on the weekends, the women also practice two hours each day.

“I am impressed in her priorities; academics come first. Lindsey’s work ethic includes organization, perseverance, determination and responsibility,” Lindsey’s advisor and Professor in Biology John Lammert said.

“I pray a lot about the balance that I need to keep my schedule under control. I have learned a lot about time management and organization and when I am peer mentoring I love that I have the chance to encourage others that they can do what they set their mind to, that they can reach for something better,” Lindsey said.

Faith plays a huge role in Lindsey’s life and joining the Fellowship of Christian Athletes gave her a support group with the same beliefs and goals.

“Being able to glorify God through athletics is wonderful because it is such a big part of my life. I am trusting that there is a plan because of how faithful God has been to me,” she said.IMG_2795

Lindsey is leaving a mark of sincere passion and deep relationships with the people she meets inside and outside of Gustavus. Meeting people from different backgrounds has given Lindsey many great relationships that she is grateful to have.

“I want to be able to serve people through medicine. Paying it forward and helping others is very important. There is so much life to discover and I hope to plug into communities and learn about other people,” Lindsey said.

“Lindsey is ‘real’ in everything she does. Her character, energy and integrity are always evident,” Lammert said.

3 thoughts on “Gustie of the Week: Lindsey Hjelm

1. really very interesting blog… like more to read on Play School…

From ,
      Play School in Bangalore – Little1.in