Holy granola, Batman! What a wonderful snack!

Granola. Mmm. Perhaps it’s the mountain girl in me that craves simply oats and honey. Perhaps it’s the way granola crunches. … Or, maybe it’s the way one KNOWS there’s always a special ingredient in it. Either way, I love granola, even the burnt edges of my homemade efforts.

Over the summer, I conducted a series of granola creations and have made two batches at Gustavus so far this autumn. Ever since I was a wee child, I would ask my mommy for a cup of dry oats while she baked cookies. Weird, yes. Healthy, yes. Something to add on the list of things I did that embarrassed my older sister, YES. … (Right up there with running around naked at all her childhood birthday parties …Whoops!)

Just as reason is the light of Plato’s cave, so is granola the foundation of a happy life. Just a little too crunchy to chew quietly in the library, granola staunchly expresses itself through you, even if you don’t intend it to. The only way to quiet down that prattling handful is to douse it with yogurt or milk … or just eat in the cafeteria during peak hours and join in the happy chorus of loud eaters and talkers. Or, in the middle of a mountain hike. That’s ideal!

Granola is simple, sustaining, and wholesome. … Hippies and their children alike enjoy it. It’s just a bit more of a treat than other sources of nourishment. If made with wellness in mind, it is not just a dessert either. Perched on the fence between the lands of necessity and luxury, granola presents itself as a reminder of the joy in life. Not an all or nothing affair, life requires both the staples of health and moderation as well as an extra touch of sweetnes.

This year’s Nobel Conference focuses on food. Not just food, though, but intentionally “Making Food Good.” With topics ranging from awareness, to health, to global healing, it’s a Gustavus tradition just simmering with hope.
As someone who’s questioned the complexity between simplicity and wealth, temperance and indulgence, monk-like humility and out-there pride, I’m looking forward to this conference. On another level, this year’s conference will bring to the table the issue of sustainability in terms of human health and the overall ecology.

I’m from a place less community/earth centered than the Midwest. Only here would we see our peers farming just off campus while we learn and hope and LIVE intentionally for a sustainable future on campus and beyond. Hope to see you at the conference!

Anyway, if you want to test my granola or buy me oats in exchange for a back rub, let me know!