Make Your Life Count

I had the delight of seeing Gustavus billboards this summer in my hometown of Rochester, Minnesota. Seeing these signs made me want to get out of my car and take a picture next to the billboard and the Greenway gas station.

After the school spirit wore off, I realized what the Gustavus sign actually said: “Make Your Life Count.”

Wait a second. Did that sign just tell me that if I don’t go to Gustavus I’m worthless?

The “Make Your Life Count” page on the Gustavus website features inspiring stories about how Gusties, both students and staff, have achieved great things while at school. There’s also a really nice video about the Gustavus community. Really nice, that is, until the narrator asks, “Did you make your life count?”

Um, I’m sorry Mr. Narrator, but I was under the impression that every life counts, regardless of where I go to college. They’re saying that if I had gone to St. Olaf or Luther, my life would be less valuable.

Yes, Gusties are incredible people and they do incredible things. This school is a fantastic place to learn and grow. And coming to Gustavus gives people opportunities to succeed that they would not have had otherwise. This is probably what GAC’s new slogan is supposed to mean.

Unfortunately for Gustavus students, no one gets to hear that explanation when they see the ridiculous billboards. They get four words. What are those four words saying about us? How are we going to shake the snobby private school stereotype if we tell people they’re worthless unless they come here?

Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love this school. I just don’t think my life’s worth depends on my choice of college.

Make your life count? No. Your life already counts.

Meghan Peterson ‘13