Greeter of the Week: Bergit Nerheim

Senior Communication Studies Major Bergit Nerheim is a Gustie through and through. She chose to go to Gustavus after visiting a couple schools, and the strong sense of community really felt right to her.

Everyone greeted each oter in the halls and was extremely friendly, which really appealed to her. This is very reflective of her personality. “Bergit never fails to have a friendly smile or greeting … not just for people she knows, but also for those she has never met. She simply shines,” Junior Elementary Education Major Maria Lofstuen said.

This attitude made it easy for Bergit to get involved on campus. She is in Gustie Greeters, Delta Phi Omega, Guild of Saint Lucia, Gustavus Ambassadors, Gustavus Choir, Chapel Apprentices and is a Career Center host. Being a Greeter is her favorite activity.

“Gustie Greeters has been the best thing I have ever been a part of. One thing I really appreciate about it is that it has helped me grow into myself. I’ve become more confident and comfortable being goofy,” Bergit said.

Bergit has been a Greeter since her sophomore year, allowing her to participate in orientation weekend every year. “I have done four orientations. I love it so much. It would be weird not being here,” she said.
As a first-year, orientation was much different for Bergit. “I remember … move in day and my mom really wanted to roll down the window and was honking and I was just slinking down in my seat saying, ‘Mom, please don’t do that …’ but now I just love it,” Bergit said.

Her favorite part of orientation was, and still is, the E Pluribus performance and discussion by I Am We Are, Gustavus’s Social Justice Theatre Troupe. “I like it because it gives insight into a whole variety of things you could encounter at Gustavus. I came from a small town where there wasn’t a whole lot of diversity and not a whole lot really happened. E Pluribus opened my eyes to so many new things. With the discussion afterwards, I found this true as a first-year and I still do, you learn so much about everyone in your group.”

Summing up who Bergit is, Senior Communication Studies Major Emma Strand said, “Bergit is one of my best friends and one of the kindest people I have ever met. She is extremely committed to everything she does and approaches each day with a smile. Her happiness is contagious. I can always count on Bergit to brighten my mood.”

One program Bergit has championed with her strong commitment and great attitude is Habitat for Humanity. She has spent her last two Spring Breaks on work trips building homes for the program. This has allowed her to travel across the country. Her sophomore year she went to Corpus Christi, Tex. and her junior year she went to Miami, Fla. She intends to do the work trip this coming spring break as well. Her favorite part is using the power tools. Meanwhile, a little closer to home, she will be doing an internship with the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Mankato. She will be doing event planning, with different events to get the community more involved in ReStore.

As for her advice to the new wave of Gusties coming in, Bergit said she wants all the first-year students to try new things and not be afraid to put themselves out there. “There is bound to be someone else there who didn’t come with someone and is willing to try new things as well,” Bergit said.