Gubernatorial Debate

I would like to thank the students of Gustavus for sponsoring the gubernatorial forum on Nov. 9. There have been a number of events across the state, and your forum drew the most and diverse number of candidates.

The turnout at the forum was very impressive and it was encouraging to see that so many college students and local residents are interested in the gubernatorial race and learning more about the candidates.

Minnesota is at a crossroad because the state is facing very serious financial challenges. The next governor will determine if Minnesota regains its status as the Star of the North, or if we continue to lose our competitive edge. I got into this race because the state needs a problem solver. As a carpenter, I’ve spent my life tackling problems and resolving them. If a carpenter doesn’t solve problems, buildings don’t get built.

There are no simple solutions to the state’s financial problems. The state’s budget deficit is a symptom of a larger problem—our economy is underperforming. The 2010 election needs to be about creating jobs and getting the economy performing again. I have the experience and determination necessary to get the job done.

I encourage you to continue to research the candidates and their positions. You can learn more about me on my Facebook page or at www.bakk2010.com.

Sincerely,
Sen. Tom Bakk
Candidate, DFL endorsement for governor