Gustie of the Week: Wes Jones makes the military a way of life

Alex Messenger
Photo By: Alex Messenger

In August of 2005, Hurricane Katrina, one of the deadliest natural disasters to ever hit America, struck the Gulf coast states. Sophomore Communications Studies Major Wes Jones and his family were among the people present in New Orleans during the disaster. Jones, like thousands of others, was instantly forced to evacuate and take cover.

“I lived in the dead center of [New Orleans] in Algiers on the west bank,” said Jones. “My dad was a commander of his team crew [in the Coast Guard]. [When the storm hit] he stayed behind to save people, while the rest of my family evacuated.”

It took Jones, his mother, two brothers and his dog fourteen hours to flee New Orleans and take refuge in Alabama. On TV, his family watched wide-eyed as the places they once knew submerged completely under water.

Jones eventually traveled north to Milwaukee, where he had previously lived. His family only had room to fit a few things in the car. All that Jones owned were a few pairs of clothes, a couple of books, a pearl jam CD and a fishing rod. However, when they finally reached a temporary living space in a cabin outside of town, a caravan of people arrived offering the Jones family clothes, food and other important supplies.

“There were people rallied from everywhere,” said Jones. “We were all crying. One old man gave me a thirty-year-old vest that I still wear to this day.”

After weeks of watching bodies float into the rubble in his old community, Jones does not enjoy watching TV as much as he used to. His father, who had helped lead one of the largest Coast Guard search and rescue missions in history, returned home to a permanent location in Milwaukee after almost a year away from his family.

“[My father’s] station saved over 7,500 people,” said Jones. “And the Coast Guard [as a whole] saved over 32,000 people affected by Katrina.”

While finishing high school 00000000in Michigan, Jones began to look at colleges. He originally wanted to go to a school on the east coast. However, because of his father’s new position as a Sector Commander of Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, Jones began to look in the Midwest for Division III schools with good swimming programs.

“My number one decision for coming to Gustavus [was] that I wanted to stay close to my family. I wanted to make up for not being together for a year,” he said.

Before graduating from high school, Jones decided that he wanted to pursue a career in the United States Coast Guard. After learning that he could be a part of the reserves in college, he enlisted and was sent to New Jersey, where he began an eight-week basic training program.

Jones said that boot camp was one of the most grueling things he has ever done. He spent 4:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. studying, doing extreme physical training and learning how to work on a team in intensely stressful environments. However, the things that he and his team did together made them so proud of their country that every time they heard the National Anthem, listened to taps or saw an American flag, they would cry.

“It was a life-changing experience,” said Jones. “It was the best eight weeks that I’d never do again.”

Jones graduated boot camp as a Non-Rate (E-3). After a year at Gustavus, Jones continued his training this past summer in Yorktown, VA, to become a Boatswain’s Mate Third-Class Petty Officer (E-4).  His eventual goal is to become a Coast Guard search and rescue helicopter pilot.

“[My training in Virginia] was school and a learning environment,” said Jones. “We spent time doing search and rescue drills on 41-foot search and rescue boats. Most of it was class work. I memorized more material in the thirteen weeks [in Virginia] than I did all last year at Gustavus. It was an intense 18-week program condensed into 13.”

Through training and working in the reserves, Jones has helped rescue multiple victims in the past year.

“I never say ‘I rescued,'” said Jones.

“Teamwork is always personified in the Coast Guard. It is always ‘Our crew went out and saved someone. Our crew assisted the sinking vessel.’ We learn to act efficiently and effectively. [The Coast Guard] demands the most out of everyone, even if it is their lives. Everyone graduates knowing that they are ready and willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish a mission and save a life. They know full-out that they can lose a life doing it,” he said.

Jones is heavily involved in the Gustavus swim team and spent his entire high school career swimming for different high schools in the nation, acting as a team leader and even breaking a school record.

“Coming from a military background, I love structure, and I love that nerve-racking feeling of someone [being] better than you,” said Jones. “[In swimming and life,] setting personal goals is something I love to do because if makes me want to become a better person.”

Sophomore John Rice is also a member of the Gustavus swim team and is one of Jones’s close friends.

“He inspires me,” said Rice. “He is definitely one of the most driven people I have ever met. From a friend standpoint, he is really easy to talk to, but he is right up in your face. He is a military man and is not afraid to speak his mind.”

Jones is also a new member of the Epsilon Pi Alpha fraternity on campus.”All we do is bake cookies and play softball,” said Jones. “I would do anything for [my brothers]. They are friendly and community-oriented. I love hanging out with [my brothers]. I love to surround myself with good people, and the Eppies are certainly all true gentlemen.”

“He takes pledging very seriously,” said fellow Eppie Sophomore Paul Bakalich. “He takes it to the max and makes sure he picks everyone else up.”

Jones may be a busy man, but when he is not swimming, studying or giving tours around campus for the Admissions Office, you would have to travel miles off campus to find him fishing or hiking around Kasota Prairie or Seven Mile Creek.

“If I get more than a couple hours [of free time], I’ll try to do some pheasant hunting. [But one of the things I love to do] is go hiking with my girlfriend,” said Jones.

Although he enjoys relaxing free time, Jones values his country, family, friends and others above all else.

“I think military structures my life more now,” said Jones. “I love to do things that are physically exhausting. I like knowing there is always something ahead of me that I can look forward to. I don’t like half-assing anything. I always give it my all.”

Jones certainly values his time at Gustavus, and will continue to do so as he pursues a career as an officer in the Coast Guard.

“Not everyone can do it,” he said. “I would be more than willing to go overseas to give my life for my country. I would sacrifice everything for my country. I would live in a box for my country. That’s why I’m going to school now: to get good grades, become an officer and serve my country.”