We need to pay professors more

In a recent publication of the Chronicle of Higher Education, I was shocked to discover just how little Gustavus faculty make in comparison to other colleges. Not even considering Doctoral and Graduate institutions, merely among the baccalaureate institutions in this country does Gustavus rank around the 40th percentile. A full professor at Gustavus makes $76,400, whereas a full professor at St. Olaf makes $91,100, at MSU makes $88,000  and at Carleton makes $117,400.

Another “Fun Fact” about our professors’ salaries: they haven’t gone up much at all. Data from the Chronicle’s website indicates a very moderate increase of salaries from the early 2000s to 2009, with stagnation in 2009-2010 and even a decrease from 2010-2011. Other private colleges have been hurt by the recent economic downturns of the last decade, but among other colleges with whom we compete, professors not only have far better salaries, but those salaries increase at a greater rate than ours.

I realize that I, as a student and as a commentator (rather than a Weekly reporter—an oft missed critical distinction) I am not getting the full story behind why this is the case. Yes, our endowment is far smaller than the colleges that pay their professors more, and yes, our college has (at least in message) a commitment to keeping tuition costs under control. I know there must be many factors that have, over time, created the situation with our professors, who are outstanding members not only of this community but as well in their academic fields, but I don’t know why it has to remain that way.

A thought I had my first year was that I could pay one professor, or split my time between two professors, $100/hour, to tutor me in some subject or another and not only come out with a great education, but spend far less money and time than what this four-year setup requires. Knowing that not only a couple but quite a large number of the professors I’ve had are qualified to teach in better-funded institutions and are really the instigators of learning on this campus, I wonder why we seem to value them so little in proportion to their capability and talent.

My combined tuition costs coming to Gustavus as a first-year student was roughly $34,000. The incoming class next year will pay just over $42,000.  Although tuition has increased by over 23 percent in four years, professors’ salaries have barely budged.

In those same four years, however, lots of things have come to Gustavus. Hundreds of flat-screen TVs, those Campus Safety motorized tricycles, a re-badge of Safety and Security to Campus Safety, expanded commodities available to students, new Dyson hand driers, more landscaping on campus and in the Arb, renovations to living spaces on campus and that big new academic building (that is still called “New Academic Building,” to give you an idea about the funding situation for it). All these things make campus a nicer place, a more appealing place to matriculate.

As students, what do we want? Do we want the reputation of a prestigious country club or a renowned academic institution? I think we can—and do, to some extent—have both.  But, seriously, what’s more important to us? Do we want a really plush experience, or an education that’s name will carry our weight after graduation?

There is a huge amount of talent in this college. We have some of the foremost scholars from disciplines around the liberal arts, and we also educate some of the brightest young people in (and out) of the country. We live in a beautiful place filled with more accoutrements than ever before—everything that $42,000/year should get you.

However, as a student, and as a soon-to-be-alumnus of this college, I am concerned with the disparate rates of accoutrement growth and professors’ salaries.  We may look better—but how are we to retain and attract the academic talent needed to make this a better institution of higher learning without putting the money where our mouths are?  I’d feel better about tuition hikes if I knew the money was being well-spent on the people who have given me such an outstanding education in my time here.

4 thoughts on “We need to pay professors more

1. I hope you will support the college with gifts on ayearly basis when asked. If alumni aren’t interested in supporting the college, why should any one else? (hence no new funds to increase faculty salaries)

1. Large addcit with this page, a great deal of your blogposts have definitely helped me out. Looking towards upgrades!