Be more aware of the awareness on campus

I am tired of being aware. And I am well aware that the pressure of being so full of awareness is getting to me. And I can’t cope. In fact, I would say that the average college student is weighed downed by at least seven to ten extracurricular issues per day that he or she needs to be aware of.

There are too many crises and problems and illnesses and plagues and things that MUST be prevented and stopped or started and helped and controlled for anyone to be able to handle.

I can’t wait until we all graduate and can finally start doing something instead of just being conscious of its existence. Could you just imagine what our senior class alone could accomplish if we all stopped raising awareness and started making changes? If we acted out plans and made efforts to remedy problems instead of simply raising awareness about them, we might all sleep better at night. And sleep is something we get so little of. Really.

Did you know that a recent study by the National Sleep Foundation found that 63 percent of college students regularly do not get enough sleep, and 15 percent admitted they fall asleep in class? Can you believe that? Something must be done. We must organize a meeting. Make some T-shirts. Set out some frost-your-owns. We should come together to get this information out and known in the public, because this is an OUTRAGE.

An outrage, I say. And I, for one, simply will not stand for it. Because issues like this make people angry. And being angry has many extremely adverse effects on health. It can raise your risk of heart disease, affects blood pressure and causes damage to artery walls. My God, what are we doing to ourselves? This has to be stopped. I’ll get the chalk and the poster materials from the SAO, you can be in charge of the table tents for the Marketplace tables and digital slides for the TV monitors around campus. That should do it. Yeah. Then everyone will know. They’ll be so much more aware.

Especially with all the Facebook events I’ll create. Not only will the ENTIRE campus be aware of the dangers of: sleeping or not, being angry or not, the dangers of dishwashing, the fight against carpal tunnel syndrome or the pledge to live a life free of non-organic products—but all the people I went to high school with who don’t really give a damn about me anymore can be aware, too. Then I’ll change my profile picture to a different color or hue. Or I’ll add a pokemon character to it, or maybe just take my own face off of my Facebook and just have it be a bed or an angry face. But probably a happy face, to show what a happy, well-rested and aware individual would look like. They smile, in case you weren’t aware.

But that newfound awareness will stress us out more. And I’m only too sure how very aware we all are of the effects awareness has on our ability focus on new things (new problems of which we MUST be aware). We, as a campus have become hyper-aware. And this is a serious condition that I think everyone should be aware of.