Gustie of the Week: Abbey Sletten

Emma KelseyStaff Writer

Senior Abbey Sletten is this week’s Gustie of the Week. A business management major with an emphasis on entrepreneurship and a Spanish minor, Sletten values the personal experiences she has been able to get at Gustavus. She has made an impact on campus and in the lives of her peers and has high hopes for her future after graduating from Gustavus this spring.

Sletten reflects on what she loves about the Gustavus campus and community, saying how much she loves the intimate learning style and passionate faculty and students. “My favorite part of Gustavus is probably the small, conversation-style learning that comes with the business courses. My professors this semester are all very passionate about their jobs and passionate about our success as students – a majority of my classes are discussion-based and student-directed, which is something that works well for me personally,” Sletten said. She hopes to specifically focus on fully immersing herself in the Entrepreneurship II class she is taking this semester.

After graduating this spring, Sletten will work another summer at Al & Alma’s Charter Cruises on Lake Minnetonka and see where life takes her from there. “My main goal after college is to be happy and enjoy my life and see where the adventure takes me while being the best and most independent version of myself,” Sletten said.

Junior Britta Blanding, who was roommates with Sletten for all of last year, says that Sletten was not only the best roommate, but is also a unique individual with so many good qualities. “She is a very open, outgoing person, who is always understanding and accepting of others. One of the qualities that stands out most about Abbey is her kindness to everyone around her and her ability to put herself in others’ shoes,” Blanding said.

Fellow Senior Claire Johnson, who met Sletten during their first year at Gustavus in a Spanish class, and roomed with her during their sophomore year, says that Sletten represents Gustavus well, that she is always prepared, organized, and takes on leadership roles with grace in classes and on campus.

“If someone were to ask me, ‘who is a strong woman in your life?’, one of the first people to come to my mind would be Abbey. She works very hard to achieve her goals, she knows what she needs to do and she does it, yet, she is very balanced. While striving towards her goals she still prioritizes making time for herself, the people that are important to her, and her overall well-being. I really admire that about her,” Johnson said.