Senior Athlete Q&A: Senior athletes reflect on their upcoming final season.

With the 2020-2021 season being this year’s seniors final seasons, now more than ever it is important to take a moment and reflect upon the journey and what lies ahead for senior athletes. The Gustavian Weekly interviewed five senior Gustie athletes for their thoughts.

Senior Hailey Auran
(Swim and Dive)

Q: What is your favorite memory on the swim team?
HA: “My favorite memory on the team will forever be the team atmosphere Gustavus brings to every single meet, especially Conference. We always have the loudest cheering section and I am grateful for the chance I’ve had to cheer on my teammates for four years during their races and dives.”

Q: What are you (hopefully) looking forward to going into your final season?
HA: “I am looking forward to having the best year yet and to meet all the new first-years and transfers. We also might have our first (and last) dual meet against University of St. Thomas this year, which will be super fun and high energy.”

Q: What will you miss most about your team?
HA: “I will miss the teammate appreciation we do every Friday. Teammate appreciation is a chance to give shout outs to our teammates that might not know how much they helped you get through the week. You could give a shout out to someone for helping you with a lab/homework, or sitting and chatting with you in the cafeteria, or just being a positive person during a hard set. We show our gratitude for each other every single week and it brings us closer together as a team.”

Senior Matthew Gibbons
(Men’s Soccer)

Q: What is your favorite memory on the soccer team?
MG: “My favorite memory of being on the soccer team is our freshman year when we were scrimmaging Bethany Lutheran. Leo Spry scored our eighth goal, we were only supposed to score seven. The coach told Scotty Heinen to go up to the front and told Leo “Go back.” Leo thought the coach meant like go back to the locker room, so he just went down the tunnel towards the locker rooms and everyone was laughing along with our coach on the bench.”

MG: “The thing I’m looking forward to most is hopefully one last NCAA tournament run with boys. We feel we have a very strong team and a great group of young guys that can influence our team.”

MG: “The thing I will miss most about my team is just being with them all the time, training and playing games on the pitch. They are such a big part of my college experience and it’ll be sad to not see them everyday.”

Senior Peter Lundquist
(Men’s Basketball)

Q: What is your favorite memory on the basketball team?
PL: “Beating St. Thomas my freshman year. Won in the final minute.”

PL: “Looking forward to having a very similar team to last year. Only lost one senior.”

PL: “I will miss the extremely strong friendships I have made with my teammates over the past three years. The best group of guys I have ever met.”

Senior Ava Gonsorowski
(Women’s Basketball)

AG: “[My] favorite memory would have to be going to the sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament my [first] year and beating St. Thomas last year. Both were awesome experiences.”

AG: “I really hope that we can play the game that we love as consistently as possible. We still have high hopes for this year, a lot of talent coming back and some first years that can help too.”

AG: “I will miss seeing my teammates everyday. I feel like Gustavus’ teams all have really good bonds and connections overall, so it’s going to be weird not constantly being with the girls on the team as much as I usually would.”

Senior Mo Alhouni
(Men’s Tennis)

Q: What is your favorite memory on the tennis team?
MA: “My favorite memory with my team will probably be the yearly trips we take. It’s just fun to have all the guys at the same place.”

MA: “I am looking forward to getting all the guys together again and hopefully for the spring season.”

MA: “I will miss practicing together and playing weekend matches at the bubble.”