Gustie of the Week – Rob Kendrick

Professor Rob Kendrick has taught at Gustavus for the past nine years and has become a well loved by his students and peers. He is a professor students trust and look forward to taking a class with.

Rob teaches a variety of classes on campus with most revolving around literature and writing that promote deep and conceptual thoughts.

“Rob is an amazing professor, in our FTS we used to say his guffaw made flowers grow outside the window.” — Tara Robinson

“[I teach] courses in English, [Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies], and Three Crowns, such as Shakespeare, Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory, Queer Theory, Arthurian Literature, and Queer Literature and Film,” Rob said.

When asked what he enjoyed about this job, Rob was clear and simple.

“The students,” he said.

Rob’s purpose is to help students learn and develop skills as well as creating a personal bond and developing a mentor-based relationship with his classes.

“He is exceptionally witty and empathetic, challenges his students without undermining them, facilitates provocative and meaningful dialogue, and expresses the importance of applicability of knowledge within the real world. I hold him in high regard as a mentor and friend,” senior Erin Ingram said.

One of his students shared how they are often excited for class with Rob and that his energetic personality helpt to create a fun learning environment.

“Rob is an amazing professor, in our FTS we used to say his guffaw made flowers grow outside the window,” Senior Tara Robinson said.

Students are impressed with Rob’s skill of making discussion interesting and engaging. “I’ve never been in a class with conversations as lively as in the ones he teaches. He really seems to understanding his students and the world they live in,” Senior Gino Fraboni said.

Fraboni also was inspired by the way Rob helped him to gain more self-esteem when it came to his academic skills.

“Throughout the different classes I’ve had with Rob, he’s helped me gain so much confidence in my writing skills and literary analysis skills. I can’t think of a more deserving professor.”

Rob also has a reputation of being able to draw students into the English major based on his amazing teaching abilities.

“Rob rekindled my adoration for literature and analysis. I knew so many peers who had intended to major in another field, but one class with him opened scintillating and subversive doors” Ingram said.

Rob also has a great sense of humor. After being asked about other hobbies and activities he does for fun, Rob couldn’t help but sprinkle in some fun.

“[I knit] decorative tea cozies and question authority,” Rob said.

Students are very proud of this professor and feel as though they have been changed for the better because of his courses and the way in which he cares for students, especially those who feel as though they are lost or lack confidence.

“He is exceptionally witty and empathetic, challenges his students without undermining them, facilitates provocative and meaningful dialogue, and expresses the importance of applicability of knowledge within the real world. ” — Erin Ingram

“Rob’s personable nature and genuine care and attention to each of his students is earnest and formidable…Rob saw the potential for growth and was able to explain to me things that even my best high school English teacher could not get me to understand. He worked closely with me to assure that I would not be discouraged of my writing,” Ingram said.

His humor, sarcasm, and assistance do not go unnoted by students. Rob is genuine person and makes Gustavus shine a little brighter each day.