Family matters

I’m going to sound like a disgruntled old woman by saying this, but so many children and young adults these days don’t appreciate their parents’ presence in their lives.

Similarly, many parents don’t appreciate their children in the same way.

I’m not going to claim there was ever a time in history where this relationship was properly valued, but having been raised in a loving family with very strong ties to one another, it can be immensely disheartening to see how few people recognize the importance of this connection until it’s too late.

Most children are raised to view parental figures as people of authority, so it’s understandable why many youths decide their time is best spent elsewhere.

When you’re surrounded by the same people who stress rules every day of your childhood, the idea of ignoring and rebelling against them can appear attractive.

The kinds of TV shows and media aimed towards young adults certainly don’t help curb this idea.

My personal childhood favorites were Wizards of Waverly Place and The Suite Life on Deck, both of which contained a host of mouthy teenagers who actively disobeyed the rules of their elders; most of whom were presented as ridiculous people who shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Parents themselves no doubt become worn out by the time their kids reach the early teen stage, the thought of forming a particular connection with them appearing to only be more work.

Those who do put in the time to do so are often met with rebuttal and eyerolls, because how dare a middle aged person try to appear ‘hip’ when their kids refuse to acknowledge them unless money is involved.

The idea of a youth openly showing affection for their parents and family has been laughable in society for so long.

Of course, it’s important to become your own person by experimenting and following your own path, but it’s equally important to not forget the roots that guided you there.

No matter how much some may argue against it, a person’s home atmosphere greatly influences what they believe in and the kind of person they become.

Not all home atmospheres are healthy, but the ones that are often don’t recognize or appreciate what they have.

I don’t spontaneously hug my mother while she’s grading papers to gain something out of it, I do it because I cannot express in words how thankful I am for the person she has helped and encouraged me to become.

Moments where I’m curled up with my dad and sister for family movie night are now few and far between, but they are special because no matter what monumental decisions we face as adults, we will always be his little girls.

There’s something so reassuring about achieving this comfort level with family members; it can become medicinal in times of great stress.

Friends may change and move over time, but family is always there, and it’s unlikely anyone else will know you on such a deep level.

In general, it’s a good idea to keep them on your good side because no one is better equipped to knock you down a peg.

More importantly, it allows a person to be more comfortable with who they are and the kind of people they should gravitate towards in society.

That firm support and warmth from home can go a long way when faced with the real world.

Most children are raised to view parental figures as people of authority, so it’s understandable that many youths decide their time is best spent elsewhere.

Maybe I am a momma’s girl, and maybe it is weird to receive several hugs from her within a half hour of arriving home for break.

But I know that many years from now I will be thankful for the warm memories I have gathered because, as much a we like to pretend otherwise, parents won’t be around forever.

I want to be able to look back on our moments together and be satisfied with the relationship we built, and so should everyone else.

Whether growing up in a two-parent household, a one-parent household, or with some other parental figure arrangement, keeping your family close is not something that can be regretted later in life.

Walking in on your mom and sister busting out some Zumba moves in the kitchen may deserve an eyeroll, but it should definitely follow with you joining in.

I can almost guarantee it will be a memory you’ll fondly look back on years in the future.