Dating dilemmas

In case you didn’t know, we are in the 21st century.

Things are not how they used to be, and in many ways, this can be a good thing: better technology, modern medicine, new jobs and much more.

However, for relationship and dating culture, things are not so great.

If I’m being honest, in most cases I don’t even know if you could call it dating at this point.

People our age have a tremendous fear of commitment and trust issues beyond belief.

I believe that the way we develop good relationship skills is from growing up around them.

So maybe this is one of those things we just blame on our parents, and high divorce rates.

I believe it is much more than that.

Our parents and our upbringing definitely have a factor in the way that we develop, but we do this to ourselves and to other people.

I feel like there are so many rules when it comes to modern dating that the process becomes exhausting, and a big part of this is technology.

Say you like someone; instead of just going up to talk to them, these days you hope they’ll add you on Facebook, then direct message you to get your number, but just so they can add you on Snapchat, and from there follow you on Instagram and Twitter.

You can no longer just hope to talk to someone on the phone, or rarely even text them these days.

There are so many other ways to communicate, or not communicate but rather scroll, like, and retweet that it ruins the whole experience.

I would like to know why it is so much easier to have “a thing” with someone instead of just saying you really like their company, you want to be with them, and see where it goes.

Or maybe you don’t want a relationship and don’t see this going anywhere.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to be all high and mighty here, I’ve been there.

I would like to know why it is so much easier to have “a thing” with someone instead of just saying you really like their company, you want to be with them and see where it goes. Or maybe you dont want a relationship and don’t see this going anywhere.

I don’t judge people on their relationship preferences, or how many one night stands they have or don’t want to have.

What I have a problem with is stringing someone along, having one of them catch feelings and the other person feeling nothing and thinking that’s okay.

That is not okay.

Men and women are equally guilty of this.

In the end it may all boil down to “treat others as you want to be treated.”

So the next time that someone is interested in you, or you them, don’t just hope that they add you on Snapchat and ask you to come over at one in the morning.

Talk to them, really get to know them, laugh with them, make plans with them.

If you really like this person, then please do something about it.

If you don’t, then don’t be afraid to tell them so!

Be nice about it, but be direct.

No one enjoys wasting their time or having hopes and ideas in their heads that will never happen or are not mutual.

You’re not only being mean and rude in leading someone along, you’re breaking hearts.

I’ve seen this happen to people I truly care about, and to myself.

This is not a fun circumstance to be in; it is awful and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

So prove me wrong please. Show me that relationships and modern dating can be an amazing experience and that true love does still exist.

Go out there and tell the person that you have been crushing on for months how you finally feel or tell that person that you have been only texting for booty calls that you really only like them for one reason.

I promise you, they might not thank you right away, but they will in the long run, saving you both some misery in the end.

Be who you are, be the relationship type, be the hit it and quit it type, good for you; just be honest and upfront about who you are and what you want.