Commit to be Fit

In a 2011 study recounted in the New York Times, regular aerobic exercise was shown to have profound effects on the brain. Due to its many physical and personal benefits, college students are often encouraged to make time to exercise their body in addition to their brain.

Students at Gustavus have this opportunity through participation in athletics, such as varsity, club, and intramural. However, the Gustavus Health and Wellness Club (HWC) offers students alternative healthy and active exercise opportunities through various types of fitness classes taught by students.

This semester, the HWC hosts: Liberate Revolution, Pure Movement, Dance 4 Fun, Cardio Kickboxing, Zumba, Body Attack, and Afro Fitness.

“We have a variety of classes ranging from meditation and yoga to typical cardiovascular fitness classes like Zumba and Liberate Revolution. We are slowly increasing classes that are strength builders as well like Tabata, Cardio Kickboxing and hopefully a new weight training session starting next week,” Senior Gabe Grosshuesch said.

Grosshuesch teaches Liberate Revolution, which is a lower body cardiovascular workout that incorporates lively music, and Pure Movement, which is a meditation movement class.

“I teach these classes to inspire people to feel comfortable in their bodies and let them know that fitness and being healthy can only be determined by the individual, not society.” – Gabe Grosshuesch ‘17

“I teach these classes to inspire people to feel comfortable in their bodies and let them know that fitness and being healthy can only be determined by the individual, not society. We have a lot expectations and stereotypes that shape how we workout and see fitness and my goal with my classes is to break that down and challenge some of those societal norms,” Grosshuesch said.

Classes are taught by students who are passionate about fitness, enjoy staying active and remaining involved in their community.

“I want other people to have as much fun as I do while working out. Zumba is more than just a workout for your body, but is great for mental health. It is nice to know that even though we all have crazy schedules, we can take the chance to unwind and let loose by working out and having fun for at least one hour a day,” said Senior McKenzie Lafferty.

Lafferty teaches Zumba, a dance fitness program which incorporates lively music and dance into exercise.

Another dance program offered includes Dance 4 Fun, which is similar to Zumba, but with pop songs. Taught by Sophomore Natasha Saxena, this class also involves dance and aerobic movements performed to energetic music.

“It is nice to know that even though we all have crazy schedules, we can take the chance to unwind and let loose by working out and having fun for at least one hour a day.” – McKenzie Lafferty ‘17

“Since I knew so many routines, instructors would sometimes let me teach a song during their classes, so I gathered experience in teaching a fitness class that way. It was a lot of fun being able to lead, so I thought I’d try my hand at doing a full class by myself,” Saxena said.

More adventurous students may try out the Cardio Kickboxing classes led by Senior Rachel Hain.

“There’s a ton of variety within the class and it is a unique and fun way to do cardio exercise. It gets your body moving without having to use the cardio machines. I brought this class to GAC because I want other people to see how much fun fitness can be! I really enjoy teaching it and I think it’s accessible to people of all fitness levels!” Hain said.

For those who prefer a more relaxed environment, First-year Kitty O’Connell teaches yoga classes.

“I want other people to see how much fun fitness can be!” – Rachel Hain ‘17

“I chose to participate in the Health & Wellness club because I am super passionate about wellness and want to share my love for yoga with the Gustavus community!” O’Connell said.

Avoiding the dreaded college weight gain is often difficult with such busy schedules, however the HWC offers fun and lively classes that allow students to meet new people and steer clear of tedious workout routines.

Monday
Tabata @ 5:00
Body Attack @ 7:00

Tuesday
Liberate Revolution @ 5:00
Zumba @ 6:00
Body Attack @ 7:00

Wednesday
Zumba @ 4:00
Yoga @ 6:00
Body Attack @ 7:00

Thursday
Cardio Kickboxing @ 5:30
Dance 4 Fun @ 7:00
Pure Movement @ 9:00

Friday
Liberate Revolution @ 2:45

Sunday
Zumba @ 5:00
Yoga @ 6:00
Dace Cardio @ 7:00