Students join protest at Standing Rock

For many Gustavus students, Fall Break was a time for relaxation, catching up on laundry, spending time with family, and eating home cooked meals. However, for eight Gustavus students, they used the break to make a difference.

Seniors Sam Keillor, Landon Walters, and Kate Dudley, Juniors Clay Sletta, Danielle Trajano, and Sumiko Kawazu, Sophomore Andrew Deziel and First-Year Ellen Wines all took the trip west to Standing Rock, North Dakota.

There were multiple reasons as to why these students chose to go to Standing Rock and show their support.

“As I began to learn more and more about what was going on in Standing Rock, the more I reflected on myself. What if this was my home being destroyed? I would want others to stand with my family and me, to protect what I love. If I were in that situation, I would want others to come and support me,” First-year Ellen Wines said.

Those who took the trip felt that it would be an overall great learning experience.

“I chose to go to Standing Rock because I wanted to experience first hand what was going on and be a witness to the events taking place. I wanted to stand in solidarity with the people of Standing Rock because this issue is one we’ve seen throughout history with the indigenous land,” Junior, Danielle Trajano.

The students felt that the reasons for going were obvious; the people at Standing Rock needed help.

“The indigenous people at Standing Rock issued a worldwide call for supporters. As a fellow human being, we all have the same responsibility to support these people and their cause,” Junior, Clay Sletta said.

During the students trip to Standing Rock, they were invited to help at the Sacred Stone Campsite. Sletta explained that at the campsite there was a sacred fire that had been continually burning ever since the protest started months ago. People from all over the world who had come to support Standing Rock would gather around this fire.

“An Elder from one of the native tribes was seated in his wheelchair by the fire. He was always present at the fire and was always silent. He would silently watch people come and go. One night, he started speaking to us: ‘I sit by the fire every night, listening to you all. I come for the people. You all sit, think, talk, and complain about the riots, police, and arrests. I ask you, what can you do? What are you doing? What will you do? Look at my legs. When I fought in the war overseas, they had to amputate them. Now, I can only sit by this fire. But you all still have legs. You can stand up, you can walk, you can take action and do something about this. What will you do? What are you doing? What can you do? WHAT can YOU DO? Please, PLEASE, why is no one speaking up? Can you hear me? Are you there? Are you listening? What can you do? Please, WHAT CAN YOU DO?’,” Sletta said.

Elder kept begging. He continued to ask his people for hope. He was running out. At this point, an entire crowd of people had gathered around the fire, yet they were all completely silent. No one would speak. The very country that enslaved his people and took their land; the very country he fought for overseas and lost his legs, is the very same country that is now polluting and destroying his sacred land and people.

Then, a local native teen came up to the Elder, “Uncle, 140 more people have just been arrested.”

Elder is silent. As his eyes well up with tears, he speaks from his deep soul inside of him, “we are all here to stop the white man from taking our land once again. My grandfather has dealt with this problem, and his grandfather before him, this is not a new issue. But now, we must unite as a single human family. Reclaim our common humanity my fellow brothers, sisters, and relatives. My people, we are all one,” Sletta said.

First-year student Ellen Wines had never been to a protest before, so going into it, she wasn’t sure how to go about it and what to expect.

“The best part about going to Standing Rock was while being there, I was able to meet a variety of individuals from all over. Hearing everyone’s stories and experiences was baffling and heart wrenching. These people aren’t violent: they are peacefully praying and walking. However, they are being treated with violence and charged as they are committing felonies. I volunteered in different parts of the camp like helping build a sustainable tent for the winter, organizing supplies, serving food, watching children, and building a greenhouse,”  Wines said.

Students felt that it was truly a life altering experience and they were grateful to have been a part of it.

“It was a spiritual experience.  We participated in prayer ceremonies, learned about Sioux culture, helped contribute to the chores that needed to take place day-to-day in the camp. At times it was tense, especially with the police. Helicopters were regularly flying overhead. In the camp we would hear news of more water protectors being arrested, pepper sprayed or intimidated with attack dogs. Overall, it was a peaceful experience, and unlike anything I’ve ever done,” Trajano said.

The students wanted to know what was true. You don’t know what is true until you experience what is going on first-hand.

“The mainstream media has put out lies. Until you go there, you don’t understand the real toll this pipeline has on the people and land. I can tell you from personal experience, that the native people in North Dakota clearly value and appreciate the earth, land and water much more than oil and money. This land is spiritual for them. They are peaceful water protectors, not protesters. In fact, the only violence occurred during our short visit was from the American police force who pepper sprayed, brutalized, and arrested hundreds of people, elders, and animals,” Sletta said.

There is another trip being planned in November and possibly in December. Anyone who has time and money to step up and visit Standing Rock is encouraged to do so.