Working Hard or Hardly Working?

Worship Leader, A Christian Ministry in the National Parks, Big Sur, California
Olivia Gori, Junior, Woodbury, MN

A summer of outdoor adventure awaits junior Oivia Gori as she travels to Big Sur State Park in California. A Christian Ministry in the National Parks (ACMNP) is a multi-denominational Christian organization that provides an opportunity for Christians to find employment and demonstrate their faith to visitors at National Parks across the country. The opportunity to work for ACMNP first presented itself when the organization came to campus to recruit students for the summer! Once employed by ACMNP, students were placed at one of hundreds of National Parks around the country. Looking to work someplace warm, Gori requested the West Coast and was placed in Big Sur, California. Each day, Gori will be working in the lodge at the front desk scheduling campers, selling retail, and working in the cafe in the lodge. She will also be helping lead worship services several times a week. This includes playing guitar, speaking, and helping choose songs. As an International Management major, Gori considered working a corporate internship. “Overall, I won’t be making as much money as I would be in a corporate position but I think I will get more out of this job and be happier in the long run. I think at this age it’s more imporatnt to do what truly makes you happy rather than doing something just to look good on a resume,” said Gori.

Tourism Intern, Mall of America, Bloomington, MN
Melissa Saholt, Sophomore, Lakeville, MN

This summer, sophomore Melissa Saholt will work full time at the Mall of America as their tourism intern. Saholt found the internship on a job and internship website. She was looking for an internship where she could explore different opportunities to pursue with an English and Communication Studies double major. After studying tourism and businesses in Las Vegas, she was extremely interested in working with the Mall of America. Primarily, Saholt will be working won a variety of different projects in the tourism department. The Mall of America’s fast-paced environment provides excellent opportunities for growth, leadership and experience!

Server, Kona Grill, Eden Prairie, MN
Lucy Nelson, First-Year, Edina, MN

First year Lucy Nelson will spend the summer as a server at Kona Grill in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. As a frequent customer, Nelson was drawn to the sleek atmosphere and welcoming employees. As a server, Nelson will be greeting customers and creating a friendly environment to guests. “I am looking forward to meeting new people and improving my communication and customer service skills,” said Nelson. Starting at a new place can be intimidating but the food service industry can be a great summer job experience!

Au Pair, Early bird culture exchange, Zhejiang, China
Elijah Sciammas, Pleasanton, CA

After spending an incredible semester abroad in Beijing, junior Elijah Sciammas was eager to return to China as soon as possible. After researching many summer opportunities in China, Sciammas connected with Early Bird Culture Exchange, a strong Chinese Au Pair company. I am looking forward to improving my Chinese language skills, living in a Chinese city with a very small foreigner population, and making an impact on children’s lives!” said Sciammas. As an au pair, Sciammas will be living with a Chinese family and teaching English to the family’s two young boys. The boys will spend most of the day with Sciammas. In addition to providing an English environment and teaching the boys about American culture, Sciammas will learn about Chinese culture. “I am nervous because as I’ve learned from being in China, I must expect the unexpected.”

Sales intern, american family insurance, eden prairie, MN
Dave Cliett, Junior, Maplewood, MN

Junior Dave Cliett will intern at American Family Insurance this summer. After building company connections through family and friends, Cliett was contacted to work as a sales intern. “I am looking forward to using another summer to learn and understand how other companies operate and become more efficient so that one day I can build off of what they are currently doing,” said Cliett. Each day, interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable real world experience beyond the classroom. As a student intern, Cliett has the benefit of receiving direct feedback on his performance that he can bring back to his senior year. “All of my experiences will help me in the future. I will learn excellent problem solving and communication skills so I can best succeed in the future.”

Marketing Intern, US Oil, Appleton, WI
Jacob Glaser, Sophomore, Green Bay, WI

Many students find internships with companies in their field during the summer. Sophomore Jacob Glaser will be interning for the second summer with US Oil. Throughout the summer, interns will travel to gas stations to promote the Open Road Rewards program and maintain relations with oil contracts. As a Management major, Glaser believes this internship will help establish important connections and teach him proper office etiquette. Glaser is anxious to gain more experience in the business field!

Daycare Teacher aide, New Horizon Academy, Plymouth, MN
Danielle Seeger, First-Year, Maple Grove, MN

Many students struggle to find the perfect fit in a summer job, a task easy for first-year Danielle Seeger. Seeger, an Elementary Education major, will be working as a daycare teacher’s aide at New Horizon Academy. Seeger worked for New Horizon Academy for nine months before coming to college and will be returning again this summer to continue engaging with children! Throughout the summer, Seeger will be supervising children as they participate in activities, travel on field trips, and play games. “I’m really excited for the job because I want to work with kids for the rest of my life, so it’s all good practice!”

Groundskeeper, Greenway Gables, Minneapolis, MN
Joseph Huff, Sophomore, Edina, MN

The beautiful summer months in Minnesota are best spent outside! Sophomore Joseph Huff will spend the summer outdoors as a groundskeeper at Greenway Gables, a group of townhomes managed by FirstService Residential (FSR). Huff first became involved with FSR in high school as an Information Technology Intern in high school. Huff will start his third year working with FSR. “I am looking forward to interacting with the residents and working outside for the summer,” said Huff. Day to day responsibilities of a grounskeeper  include preserving the landscape, preserving the amenities on site and maintaining the overall appearance of the area. “I am probably most nervous about breaking things. It happens more than you would think!” said Huff.