Gustie of the Week – Kari Louwagie

During her first year of college, when now Senior Kari Louwagie’s former pastor asked her to come back and preach one afternoon, Kari was stunned. The night before, she tossed and turned, trying to ignore the nervous voice in her head telling her that she wasn’t ready.

The next day, she continued trying to calm her nerves but nothing seemed to work. Just as her anxiety reached its peak, she walked on the platform, looked out at the awaiting crowd, and felt all of her uneasiness dissolve.

“It was so odd. When I got up there, I wasn’t nervous anymore. It just felt like where I should be. I couldn’t tell you what I preached on that day but I do distinctly remember the feeling of my anxiety simply melting away the instant I got up there. That was the moment that solidified my desire to become a pastor,” Kari said.

Three years after that experience, Kari continues to pursue her desire. Currently, she’s majoring in Religion as well as minoring in Music and English. Those who have worked with her say she continually demonstrates a pride and commitment to her education.

A church bulletin Kari brought back from her study abroad experience in Jerusalem inspired the theme for this year’s C in CC performance.

“Kari is a leader and learner, a friend and advocate, and a loving and compassionate presence on campus. She brings joy and a love of learning to all of her roles on campus,” Chaplain of Gustavus Siri Erickson said.

On top of her studies, Kari’s also involved in Chapel life as a sacristan, a member of the Vasa Orchestra, Brass Choir, and the Choir of Christ Chapel.

“This week is a particularly good week for Kari to be Gustie of the Week because she was instrumental in helping us develop the Christmas in Christ Chapel program this year. Our theme, Shalom, Salaam Bethlehem, explores the celebration of the Nativity from the perspective of the residents of Bethlehem, a Palestinian city located in the West Bank,” Erickson said.

The theme was inspired by a bulletin Kari brought back from a church she had visited in Bethlehem during her study abroad experience in Jerusalem.

“I hadn’t thought anything of it when I showed Chaplain Siri the bulletin last year. I wasn’t intending to inspire the theme but now that it’s materialized I just feel in awe that a little bit of my experience could influence a college tradition more than 50 years old. It’s definitely a ‘Why Gustavus’ moment and my proudest,” Kari said.

Not only does she demonstrate her passion for faith on campus, but Kari reaches out a helping hand to those in the surrounding community as well.

Kari plans on pursuing her passion for service by attending seminary school.

“Off campus she leads a weekly youth group of high school kids and plans events to brings in friends from campus to help her kids get a global perspective of faith. She gives so much of her time and energy to other people,” Senior, Katharina Janzen said.

Kari explains that the biggest driving force behind her commitment to faith and aspiration to pursue a career in the church lies with helping others.

“I’m passionate about being able to accompany others on their journey and meet them where they are at. What drives me the most is the aspect of being a servant leader. My future is not all about me. It’s about something much bigger,” Kari said.

After graduating from Gustavus, Kari intends to apply for the Young Adults on Global Mission program and spend a year working for the Church before attending seminary.

“Kari has a great optimism and positive outlook that is always in the forefront of any conversation. She is a great friend to many, conscientious, thoughtful, and can be trusted to help provide good counsel in any decision making process. Not only does she bring such joy to her work as a Gustie but in the future she also will as a fantastic pastor,” Cantor of Christ Chapel Chad Winterfeldt said.