Gustie of the Week – Ben Miller

Sitting in the Courtyard Café, Senior Ben Miller reflects back to his first year at Gustavus and his proudest moment, when he made the conference swimming team and solidified his passion for swimming. Now the team’s captain, Ben says that swimming has undoubtedly had the biggest impact on his college experience.

Ben’s friends describe him as hard-working, genuine, kind, and easygoing.

“Not only did I meet many of my close friends through swimming but also, swimming in college has made me perfect my time management and leadership skills, as well as learn how to develop more meaningful bonds with people,” Ben said.

While swimming makes up a large component of his life, Ben’s leadership ability extends past the pool.

“His role in the community is expansive and diverse. He is a leader in everything he does. He is an example of what every Gustie should strive for,” Senior Jeffrey Nelson said.

In addition to being captain of the swim team, Ben is also Vice President of the Finance Club, a member of Student Senate as well as a Financial Economics major and Biology minor.

“I think that his involvement and desire to collaborate with campus groups and activities shows that he is very deserving of Gustie of the Week. He has always strived to be a leader in everything he does. He’s a class act,” Senior Tim Anderson said.

Ben’s passion for swimming led him to become the Captain of the Gustavus Men’s Swimming and Diving Team.

While he keeps himself pretty busy, Ben says that furthering relationships with those around him is also something he strives to maintain in his free time. 

“I love hanging out with my friends whenever I have free time. Especially in the last semester that I have left here, I want to be there for my friends and spend as much time with them as I can,” Ben said.

His desire to be there for his friends is one that doesn’t go unnoticed.

“He is always willing to go out of his way to help those he cares about and never shies away from working hard to achieve his goals. His work ethic and determination have served him well,” Senior Jacob Stern said.

His easy-going nature along with his ability to be kind to others are traits that Ben’s friends can’t speak of more highly.

“When I first met Ben, I thought he was a nice, outgoing, and silly guy. After being around him for four years, I can verify that all of that is true. He is genuine, decisive, responsible, and really laid back,” Nelson said.

Although usually pretty mellow, Ben’s passion and work ethic remain at the forefront of his personality.

“While Ben often comes across as a very laid back person, underneath his cool persona, he cares deeply about the people around him and the things about which he is passionate. He constantly seeks to achieve his best,” Stern said.

After Gustavus, Ben has already secured a job with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. He plans to develop his skills and hopefully go on to financial consulting in the future. As he continues to reflect on his experience here, he says he’s sad to leave behind friends but confident in how he’s developed over the past four years.

“He is always willing to go out of his way to help those he cares about and never shies away from working hard to achieve his goals.”

—Jacob Stern

“When I came to Gustavus I was really shy and reserved. College has taught me to become more outgoing and confident. It’s prepared me to feel more comfortable being uncomfortable and to explore different opportunities. I’m both nervous and excited to take those skills to the next level,” Ben said.