Christmas in Christ Chapel Performers Convey a Message of Peace

Each December, talented Gustavus musicians, singers, and dancers come together to create the Christmas in Christ Chapel service that thousands of people attend or stream online each year. This year the focus is on the journey to Bethlehem for Christ’s birth and a prayer for peace in the world.

First-year Kristen Eggler, a member of the Lucia Singers, is excited to be apart of her first Christmas in Christ Chapel.

“It has been fun to see how everything works together,” Eggler said. “I’m most excited to just be apart of it and to feel the whirlwind of emotions: the power of the music, the audience’s reactions, and the final song when all the seniors sing their hearts out for the last time.”

Sophomore Elementary Education major Kristen Matthews, a member of Chapel Choir, is excited to be performing in her second Christmas in Christ Chapel.   

“The music really reflects the theme of peace. The music is so meaningful and moving and I love being able to sing it and listen to it,” Matthews said. “The year’s theme ties into current events so I think it should be really powerful and I am looking forward to being a part of it.”

The theme of peace for the world brings together powerful songs that will move the audience.

“My favorite song that I sing is a really unique version of ‘Go Tell it to the Mountain’. The harmonies and melodies make the piece very intriguing. I also really enjoy another song called ‘Thou Gracious God’. We are accompanied by the orchestra and I find it powerful because the words tie in with the theme because it is a prayer for peace,” Matthews said.

During the service, dancers will perform to “Star Street Bethlehem Palestine 2014” by Anne Selden Annab. This piece transitions into “Snow Angel” by Sarah Quartel which will be sung by the Lucia Singers.

“The music is emotional and you feel it in your soul. It is impossible not to be moved. My favorite piece is ‘Snow Angel’ performed by Lucia because there are so many things coming together to send the message,” Eggler said.

The Director of the Dance Department Michele Rusinko selected Emma Hunt ‘18, Laura Johnson ‘16, McKayla Murphy ‘16, Paulette Ostrowski ‘15, Allie Retterath ‘18 and Karolina Stark ‘17 to perform in this year’s service.

“I selected six dancers from the Gustavus Dance Company who I knew to be very strong performers. The setting is not a very conducive place for dance. The space is small, the floor is marble, and the audience has very limited sight lines. I needed dancers who could convey ideas and emotions within these very real limitations,” Rusinko said.

The dancers are an integral part of Christmas in Christ Chapel. They bring to life the music and the story of the people on the journey. The dancer’s costumes were designed by Larissa McConnell. They are made up of panels of different colors inspired by the accompanying image.

“I think the dancers really embody ‘Star Street Bethlehem’, which is a real place in the city of Bethlehem in Palestine.  It is a complex place that has been the source of awe and the source of great violence.  Muslims, Jews, and Christians all live and move within very tight quarters. I think the dancers capture the wonder, and the tension that is the reality of Bethlehem,” Rusinko said.   

The mood and setting of Christmas in Christ Chapel shift after the Lucia Singers start singing “Snow Angel”.

“The text of the song is ‘God will give order to his angels about you.’ It becomes much more like a prayer for peace for all little children.  It is really impossible to do listen to this text and not think of all the Syrian refugee children and not hope that there are angels watching out for them,” Rusinko said.   

This year’s performance of Christmas in Christ Chapel is available to stream Saturday Dec. 5 at 7:15 p.m. if you are unable to attend any of the five live performances over the weekend.