Breaking Down Political Parties

The politics of the United States are broken into two very select parties: Democrats and Republicans. Sixteen of our presidents were Democrats, and eighteen were Republicans. That means there were ten presidents, who were neither Democrats nor Republicans. One was an independent, one was a federalist, four were Whigs, and the other four were Democratic-Republicans. Then in 1824, the party split, effectively changing the fate of political United States.

Most people I know willingly choose the next president not by their political platforms and what they promise to change, but solely based on their party. That isn’t a very good reason to choose the next president.

I for one don’t care about who the party candidates stand with, but what they are willing to fight for and fix. I care more about their platform, which is why I say we should demolish the systematic parties, and focus more on their platforms.

What the presidential candidates bring to the election should be taken into consideration more than the party they stand with. At the end of the term, it’s not the party that makes the difference, but what they bring to office. Being a Republican or Democrat doesn’t make the president good or bad; what they can fix and who they can help determines if they did their job or not.

We have a Democratic president, yet our House of Representatives is full of Republicans. I hear so many people complain that President Obama hasn’t done anything that he promised. Yet, we have a house full of Republicans and a Democratic president who never agree on the same things.

I for one don’t care about who the party candidates stand with, but what they are willing to fight for and fix.

So many bills get vetoed, and so many laws never get passed. This is why a lot more hasn’t been done, because we are a house divided. I firmly believe that if our House of Representatives refuses to listen to our president, and our government is so divided, then we lose any political standing we have with foreign affairs.

If we are so divided, we lose diplomatic respect also. Why should other countries listen to our president, if our own congress won’t even listen?

I think we should demolish these parties, and let independent candidates run on their own, without the political parties. I say we let them find their own ways to get campaign funding.

I can guarantee that breaking up these parties won’t cause the end of government. In the past, ten of our presidents weren’t associated with either party, yet we’ve managed to elect our 44th President just fine, and we still are considered one of the greatest political powers in the world.

At the same time, though, if we can’t even agree on the government’s budget, because of the division between parties how can we still consider ourselves as a great political country? I think the rift between the parties is the number one reason why so many of our presidents go back on their promises, and can’t fix the problems we have.

More and more people of my generation are choosing to associate with independent parties because there are things from both parties they agree with. The people of my generation are going to become the next House of Reps, the next presidents, and I firmly believe that the more of us who consider ourselves independent, the greater our chances are of fixing the country and breaking down the political parties.

The people in power now are so set in there ways of keeping the tradition of a political party, they seem to forget that this isn’t what’s most important when it comes to politics. As Abraham Lincoln said, “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” I believe it’s only a matter of time before our whole political foundation collapses.