What’s the Rush?

This past week a friend of mine posted a meme on my Facebook wall. The meme read, “there are two kinds of people when Christmas decorations appear in the shops.” Below was a picture of Buddy the Elf and King Theoden from Lord of the Rings. Needless to say, I was certainly the solemn King Theoden stating, “so it begins.”

Now, this article isn’t a rant against consumer culture pushing holidays sooner and sooner in order to turn more of a profit. That rant would be able to span a master’s thesis I think. Nor am I hoping to chastise people who honestly get excited about the Christmas season. Truly, there is much to celebrate about the idea of friends, family, and the birth of Christ.

However, I would like to ask you to take some time to pause before launching full bore into the holiday madness that will soon ensue. I don’t know about you, but two full months of planning, getting excited, and focusing on the holidays leaves me pretty exhausted.

Here we are, halfway into the semester and we’re already looking towards the end. We register for Spring Classes, look forward to our J-term plans, and eagerly await the first real snowfall of the year.

How many of us are actually living in the now at this point? I admit, I am guilty of this as well. I cannot wait for the next break, Christmas in Christ Chapel, and for time with family.

However, I am consciously struggling with recognizing all of the amazing things that are going on around me right now. This is your chance to really find the passion in the class that you have perhaps been regretting taking.

The opportunity to really connect with people on your floor or section. As well as the perfect time to finally quit procrastinating those massive papers and assignments that we all know are coming at the end of the semester.

The season before Christmas is Advent. The season of waiting and anticipation (no it’s not the 25 days of Christmas). Instead it is an opportunity to reflect inwards and look forward to the culmination of God’s promise made to mankind.

The season before that, which we are still in, is Pentecost. A wonderful opportunity for learning, celebrating the Church, and recognizing the time around us. The Church calendar was structured intentionally with a full knowledge of human desire and needs. Christmas lasts 12 days, not 2 months, and that is for a very good reason. This is not something that is meant to be rushed, instead each season is something to be valued and recognized as important and exciting in its own regard.

Christmas lasts 12 days, not 2 months, and that is for a very good reason. This is not something that is meant to be rushed, instead each season is something to be valued and recognized as important and exciting in its own regard.

Now, doesn’t that seem easier? The holiday season does not need to be as stressful as some would like for it to be. The easiest way to help yourself is to stay focused on what you need to take care of in order to enjoy that time. Christmas will come whether or not you spend two months looking forward to it.