Gusite of the Week – Laura Herbers

For the majority of Senior Laura Herbers’ life, theatre has been a centerpiece. As someone who’s usually very shy, it’s provided her with a means to step outside herself and experiment with different personalities.
Now, as a theatre major at Gustavus, it continues to shape not only her personality but also, her own niche within the community.

“Laura takes her work very seriously and has earned the respect and admiration of the faculty and students who work in the Department of Theatre and Dance.”
—Henry MacCarthy

“I’ve enjoyed theatre since I was young. I guess even before coming here, I kind of knew I’d major in it even though I didn’t think it was practical. I’m still not so sure how practical it is, but I know I love it and it’s helped me grow into the person I am today,” Laura said.

Laura is a dependable friend and a good problem solver.

While uncertain about the practicality of her major, Laura hasn’t let that stop her from making a considerable impression within the Theatre Department over the past four years.

“Laura takes her work very seriously and has earned the respect and admiration of the faculty and students who work in the Department of Theatre and Dance. As an upper class student, she has successfully tackled leadership roles both on state and backstage,” Associate Professor of Theatre and Dance Henry MacCarthy said.

While theatre can often be a stressful and frantic environment, Laura consistently exhibits her passion and dedication without allowing any high anxiety moments to deter her.

“I think Laura’s dedication comes from an accomplished ability to be a level-headed problem solver. She always keeps things in perspective, even in our energetic, frantic, emotional, time consuming discipline. She is able to take our work in stride,” Associate Professor and Chair in Theatre and Dance Micah Maatman said.

On top of being busy with theatre, Laura also works as a Co-facilitator of I Am We Are, Secretary of the Womyn’s Awareness Center, and as an academic assistant for the Department of Theatre and Dance.

While theatre keeps her plenty busy, Laura finds time to also pursue a minor in Scandinavian Studies, work as a Co-facilitator of I Am We Are, Secretary of the Womyn’s Awareness Center, and as an academic assistant for the Department of Theatre and Dance.

“Besides theatre, I think I Am We Are has impacted me the most. I love how it brings together a group of people who are diverse in every way you could imagine. It’s amazing that even though we are definitely not all like minded on social issues, we are still able to collaborate and build relationships that allow us to produce the work that we do,” Laura said.

“She’s the kind of person you know you can depend on, that you know will follow through on the things that matter.”
—Leah Soule

She also makes it a point to make enough time for her friends so they feel the appreciation she has for them, which does not go unnoticed.

“Over the past four years, my friendship with Laura has continued to grow. She has always been there for me willing to lend a shoulder to cry on or celebrate an accomplishment. She’s the kind of person you know you can depend on, that you know will follow through on the things that matter,” Senior Leah Soule said.

After Gustavus, Laura’s plans are uncertain. She’d like to move to Norway for a couple of years and then possibly combine her love for Theatre and Scandinavian Studies as a member of a living history museum.

While it may not be set in stone just yet, those who’ve come to know her, have no worries that Laura’s future will work out just fine.

“Laura has a bright future. I have no doubt that as she continues to grow as an actor, she will find ways to pursue opportunities to tackle issues of social justice that are very important for her,” MacCarthy said.