Gustie of the Week (10/2/15) – Emilie Benson

As a child, Emilie Benson was always what her brother calls a “goody-two-shoes.” Now a senior at Gustavus, she’s maintained a reputation as what others like to call an “upstanding student.”
“Emilie has always been the very straight-laced child in our family. She goes to church, studies hard, and is very much guided by her morality. Emilie always takes any responsibility to heart and will perform it to the best of her ability,” First-year Nick Benson said.

As a member of the Gustavus community for three years now, Emilie has utilized her studious nature in every aspect of her academic life.

“Emilie is one of the hardest working Gusties I have ever seen. She exemplifies caring for her community. Even though she is a reluctant leader, she is a natural at it and many organizations across campus benefit. I have no doubt she will do great things, whether in Chemistry, or Physics, or with her community,” Associate Professor in Physics Jessie Petricka said.

With her double major in Physics and Chemistry and minor in Mathematics, Emilie hopes to go for a PhD in the future.

“Emilie is one of the hardest working Gusties I have ever seen. She exemplifies caring for her community.”
—Jessie Petricka

Emilie has always enjoyed helping others.

“I’m really passionate about mentoring others. One of my greatest joys is helping someone to understand a concept. Watching others succeed has always been better than figuring out a solution on my own,” Emilie said.

Even on nights when she’s just relaxing in the company of friends and enjoying the view of the sky, Emilie finds pleasure in helping others find beauty in it.

“Emilie loves explaining things to people, especially astronomy. The happiest I see her is when she is pointing out stars and constellations to others,” Senior Eric Hanson said.

When she’s not helping others or enjoying her free time dancing, Emilie is working with various organizations on campus. She’s the Co-President of the Society of Physics Students; Co-President of the Newman Center, a member of the Chemistry Club, a TA, and a Tutor. She also works for the Physics department and observatory.

“I’m really passionate about mentoring others. One of my greatest joys is helping someone to understand a concept. Watching others succeed has always been better than figuring out a solution on my own.”
—Emilie

Emilie is passionate about mentoring others and making connections within the community.

“The physics club has had the most impact on my life. I have really enjoyed being able to mentor other students and get to know them better. I have also been able to learn about all of the different aspects of physics and give back to our community with something that I am passionate about,” Emilie said.

As a double major in Physics and Chemistry, with a minor in Mathematics, Emilie hopes to obtain a PhD in either Physics or Material Science in the future. As a senior, she hopes to pave the way for future Gusties before she leaves.

“I know that they are all very capable people, but my hope is to help establish future leaders for the organizations that I am a part of. Since most Gusties are only here for four years, the leadership roles have a high turnover rate, so I would like to make sure that I leave the organizations with enough connections from the community here that the future leaders will have the support that they need,” Emilie said.

While her future isn’t necessarily set in stone, she’s excited for what lies ahead. Those who have come to know her believe that she’s already made a lasting impression on the community and will continue to be successful wherever she chooses to go.

“I think Emilie will succeed no matter what she decides to do with her future. Whether she decides to attend graduate school or find a different career where she can use her passion for physics, chemistry, and astronomy, she is capable of incredible things,” Hanson said.