Gustie of the Week

basra1_original basra3_originalOriginally from Somalia, Senior Basra Osman had no trouble fitting in with the Gustavus community. In fact, putting herself out there and meeting new people is one of her passions and an ability that many took notice of immediately.

“I remember meeting Basra for the first time at our floor dinner freshman year. She sat in front of me and as soon as she opened her mouth I knew this girl was from another world. She is so full of energy, happiness, and smiles. She is a very outgoing and transparent person,” Senior Sofia Huitron said.

Now President of PASO, a member of Big Partner Little Partner, and Gustie Greeters, Basra utilizes her outgoing personality to make differences within the community.

“I’m passionate about justice and educating others about those who are different from them. I don’t like to see tension between two groups of people. Everyone deserves to be heard and appreciated and everyone is interesting if you just take the time to help them open up,” Basra said.

While extremely friendly and loving, Basra isn’t afraid to voice her opinions and stand strongly for what she believes in.

“Basra has worked on helping bridge the gaps regarding diversity in various ways. She is not shy in expressing her opinion. She is open to discussing problems to find solutions,” Technical Coordinator in Biology Maureen Carlson said.

In fact, one of her proudest college moments so far has been when she read a poem at PASO’s Africa night informing others about what the hijab meant to her.

“I felt good because the response was so positive. Many times people don’t understand that I choose to wear the hijab for myself. It makes me feel comfortable. So to have the audience listen and accept this poem positively made me feel happy and at peace,” Basra said.

Even in the classroom Basra maintains her passion and positive attitude. She says that learning has always been important and fun for her.

“I knew Basra was special from the moment she first sat in my office on Labor Day. She came here to work hard and to make a difference in other people’s lives and she has done so everyday. She’s fought hard to be here, and she recognizes the value of her education every day, which makes her a pleasure to teach and learn with,” Associate Professor of Writing Across the Curriculum in English Rebecca Fremo said.

Studying biology, Basra hopes to attend medical school in the future to become a pediatrician.

“I’ve known for a long time that I love working with children.”

—Basra Osman

“I’ve been camp counseling since high school so I’ve known for a long time that I love working with children. Once I realized that I enjoy biology too, it wasn’t hard to decide that being a pediatrician would make me happy,” Basra said.

While she’s a bit nervous to graduate and move forward, those who know Basra are confident that she will go on to find success.

“Students like Basra are rare and wonderful and I think that every classroom she enters is just automatically elevated by her good vibes. I fully expect to read about her accomplishments in the next ten years. She’s the real deal,” Fremo said.