Showcasing Senior Artwork

Starting Saturday May 2, the the Senior Art Majors Exhibition will be showcasing in the Hillstrom Museum of Art on the first floor of Jackson Campus Center.
There will be an opening reception on Saturday during Honors Day from 4-6 p.m. The pieces will be showcased in the museum until Graduation Commencement on May 31.
These are pieces from some of the students being showcased. Some pictures also show in progress work from the artist and what it took to finish the piece.

“The subject matter of this series has personal connection with my past, my experiences of being on those fishing boats when I was little,  and I was very curious to why these boats have eyes, which you can see in the paintings. Painting things from Vietnam, which is where I’m from, brings back memories of traveling around Vietnam and I learned about many different aspects of Vietnamese culture,” Hoang said.
“The subject matter of this series has personal connection with my past, my experiences of being on those fishing boats when I was little, and I was very curious to why these boats have eyes, which you can see in the paintings. Painting things from Vietnam, which is where I’m from, brings back memories of traveling around Vietnam and I learned about many different aspects of Vietnamese culture,” Hoang said.
“My piece is about the concept of memory and how people’s faces fade from your memory as time continues forward and how some individual’s faces remain very imprinted in your brain, always. The piece of paper itself inspired me to start this project because it is torn and a tinted brown, which reminds me of papyrus and time itself,” Van Oosbree said.
After graduating, Haley wants to spend time traveling the world.
“These series are about the different types of Hmong clothing for Hmong women.  These Hmong clothes do not only identify what type of Hmong they are, but it expresses where these Hmong women specifically come from (different village they live in),” Vang said.
“These series are about the different types of Hmong clothing for Hmong women. These Hmong clothes do not only identify what type of Hmong they are, but it expresses where these Hmong women specifically come from (different village they live in),” Vang said.
“A Hmong Woman’s Clothing” by Amy Vang
“A Hmong Woman’s Clothing” by Amy Vang

-Erika Clifton