Founder of The Onion Scott Dikkers coming to campus

As the 2015 Big Speaker, founder and editor-in-chief of The Onion Scott Dikkers will be speaking at Christ Chapel on Thursday, April 23 at 7:00 p.m. His speech “The Funny Story Behind the Funny Stories” will give students an insight to how he established The Onion as an unconventional news source.

Members of the Campus Activities Board believe bringing Dikkers to campus will provide a unique perspective on turning one’s interests into something bigger.

“He’s somebody who started with something he’s really passionate about,” Junior Economics and History Major and Campus Activities Board member Evan Drantch said. “I think that’s very in line with Gustavus and what we’re teaching students to do. We’re teaching our students to be leaders and to go and change the world and make your life count. I think that Scott Dikkers has definitely done that in his own, unique way in establishing satirical journalism.”

Drantch views Dikkers as someone who saw an opportunity for improvement in daily life and pursued it.

“He kind of changed the game by establishing that satire in journalism, by looking and asking what we can do to make news better,” Drantch said.

With the satirical nature of Dikkers’ work as the defining characteristic of his success, it’s difficult to ignore Gustavus’ own satirical news source, The Fourth Crown, and the impact it may have had on who the student body selected as the speaker.

“I think the Fourth Crown has definitely had an impact,” Drantch said. “Especially as college students are more focused on finding news sources while also wanting that entertainment, that humor and satire, I think The Fourth Crown has played a positive influence.”

While Dikkers will be sure to bring his humor into his speech, he will also be focusing on how he managed to create a nationally recognized news source.

“Not only is he being funny and talking about his satire, but he’s talking about how he started and how he achieved what he wanted,” Junior Communication Studies and Religion Major and Campus Activities Board Arts and Entertainment Executive Brita VanOsdol said. “It’s not a hypothetical context. It’s real. We hope it’s something that’s entertaining and fun to listen to and offers a different perspective than normal.”

Looking back at previous Big Speakers, VanOsdol is confident that Dikkers will offer a different perspective to the student body.

“Past speakers are Jeffrey Tambor, Frank Warren, Frank Abagnale. Jeffrey Tambor’s presentation was all about achieving your dreams and Frank Warren was more inspirational on a deep level,” VanOsdol said. “I think it’s a light speech, and it also applies to our daily lives more than previous speeches have.”

While Dikkers will be different from previous speakers, there are some qualities which will hopefully be consistent with past presenters.

”I think he’ll probably be really funny, which was one of my favorite things about Jeffrey Tambor when he came,” VanOsdol said. “I’m excited because I don’t know that much about satire and I’ve never experienced it in person so I think it will be new and exciting.”

Excitement is building within the student body as the date of the presentation approaches.

“This is my first Big Speaker, and I’m really interested in his story,” Sophomore Dance and Communication Studies Major Dana Riebe said. “He really changed the way news can be presented, so I’m excited to see what he can do with a speech.”

Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. on April 23, with a Question and Answer session set to follow Dikkers’ presentation. Tickets are free to the Gustavus community and $5 for the public.

-Kaity Young