GUSTIE of the WEEK: Donte Curtis

As a senior, Donte Curtis often reflects on his senior year in high school and his college application process. After being met with the same enthusiasm and hospitality that he now shares with others in the community, Donte believes that he didn’t choose Gustavus but rather, Gustavus chose him.

“I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything, and I honestly don’t want to. I’m kind of nervous to graduate. I’ve come to love the campus, the students: everything. To go away from this just seems crazy to me,” Donte said.

While he’s nervous to leave Gustavus, Donte says he wants to make the most of the time he has left. His goal is to continue to make meaningful connections with people, something he’s already practiced throughout his four years at Gustavus.

“Before I met Donte, it was difficult for me to imagine so much energy and enthusiasm fitting into one human being. From the moment I first met him, he has never failed to bring positivity and genuine zeal into any activity,” Junior Rachel Olson said.

Donte is known for his energy and leadership skills.

Along with brining his enthusiasm into his religion major, Donte brings positive energy to many activities at Gustavus. He’s a peer educator in the Diversity Center, a BU coach in the Well Being Center, peer mentor, Gustie Guide, and employee in the cafeteria. He’s also involved in the GOLD Leadership Program.

“He’s a bridge-builder. He meets people where they are, including faculty, and treats them as human beings in whom he takes a genuine interest. He has a unique talent for bringing people together in positive ways, even when difficult issues are confronting us. His ability to lead and also gracefully share leadership is outstanding,” Associate Professor in Religion Deborah Goodwin said.

He even goes beyond the organizations in which he’s involved, in order to bring people together who share similar passions. In particular, he’s very passionate about issues of race. One of his proudest moments at Gustavus so far has been helping to organize a demonstration in the aftermath of the Ferguson shooting.

“Donte really helps start conversations about a variety of topics here. I know he works closely with a lot of folks in the Diversity Center to bring awareness to the campus about race issues. He also engages in many theological and faith conversations, something I know he is very passionate about. He’s in a lot of places at once, but he leaves an impact wherever he goes,” Senior Matt Spoden said.

Whenever he finds free time, Donte says he loves spending it with people. He loves going to events, sitting down and having conversations, or going on walks with friends.

“Donte has an upbeat, energetic personality and he knows how to inspire and motivate people. He takes pride in knowing himself and getting to know others on a deeper level. He has this way about him that makes anyone he talks to feel appreciated, important, and understood without judgment. He also strives to include and make sure each voice in the room gets a chance to speak and be heard,” Sophomore Johnna Bottila said.

Developing the skills to truly listen to others is one of the most valuable lessons he’s learned at Gustavus so far.

“I’ve learned to listen in two ways. First, I listen to my heart and what it tells me to do with my life. Second, and most importantly, I listen to other people. Truly listen to them. We all get so busy here. It’s easy to walk by people and just kind of say hello as you keep walking. I don’t want to be the person who just knows of other people. I want to take the time to know them and that takes listening skills,” Donte said.

While he’s not sure of his plans for the future yet, Donte says he’s not too worried. The main priority in his life right now is to continue the work he’s been doing at Gustavus and he believes everything will turn out right.

“He’s a person who lives with intention. Whether it be facilitating a conversation, lending a listening ear, or educating others, he knows his values and strengths deeply and lives his life within them each and every day,” Bottila said.

-Jaudryn Dobler

dante_2
Friends describe Donte as upbeat, a good listener, and a great conversationalist.