Tales from Abroad (2/27/15)

Tales from Abroad is an ongoing section in which Gustavus students share the highlights of their study abroad experiences.

Hey everyone! My name is Ashley Eickhoff and I’m a Junior Spanish major with a LALACS minor, and am currently studying abroad in Guanajuato, México.

Every local I’ve met is friendly and always willing to help—which was great in the times I’ve gotten lost. My host family is an elderly couple, Yolanda and Gabriel, whom I call mis abuelos (my grandparents). Neither of them speak English. I could not have asked for a more perfect family. They are calm, sweet and have taught me more about the rich and vibrant Mexican culture within this short period than I have known my whole life. They’ve made me feel like a member of their family, which makes sense, because I’ve realized that family and faith are central to the G                     uanajuatense culture.

Now, let’s talk food. First of all, mi abuelita (my grandma) is hands down the best cook. Needless to say, with the wide variety of healthy (contrary to what many believe about Mexican food) dishes she prepares, I’ve been consuming more than I should be. Unlike the U.S., the biggest meal of the day is lunch around 3 p.m. and school is let out so students can go home and return after they eat. Seriously, if I could eat her food all day, I would—it’s tan rica (so delicious)! Eating with mis abuelos is time that I will cherish forever. I’ve had incredible, meaningful talks with mi abuelito (my grandfather) who is one of the most genuinely kind people I’ve ever met.

Besides going to school, where all of my classes are in Spanish, I’ve gone to numerous cafés, jardines (parks), plazas, and mercados (markets). I’ve also gone hiking in beautiful cerros (mountains) where one time, we met an old man who was about 95 years old and lives up in the hills in a small, two-room home without electricity. Another fun adventure I’ve had included traveling with two girls to another city in México called San Miguel de Allende. We stayed in a hostel (which isn’t creepy) and visited museos (museums), un jardín botánico (a botanical garden), aguas termales (hot springs), and listened to a mariachi band. It was such a fun weekend!

Funny story to end this: I’m sure you all know what catcalling is. Well, here it’s called a piropo. One day, I was returning home from a café when I heard whistling. At first I didn’t know what it was, but then I saw a man dressed in a promotional, blow-up chicken suit bouncing in time with the whistles. He stuck out his chicken hand (I thought he wanted a high five) and proceeded to grab my hand, lift it up to his beak like he was kissing it, and then whistled even more as I continued to walk away. Who knew chickens could be so flattering?

I can already say that not studying abroad would’ve been one of the biggest regrets in my life. I’m very shy and don’t talk much until I know someone well, but this experience has taught me a lot about myself, made me more confident in who I am, and has deepened my faith. For that, I am grateful. Having lived in this charming city for a little more than a month now, I still have 4 more months to go and am thrilled for what’s ahead.

-Ashley Eickhoff