Study abroad deadline drawing near

Students that want to study abroad for the fall, upcoming spring or academic year are required to turn in applications by March 1 for Gustavus approval.

Sessions on Tuesday Feb. 17 and Feb. 24 covered how to apply and general cost and credit information as it pertains to study away.

Students that study away range from those majoring in a language wanting more experience to students that want to experience another culture.

“As a Spanish major, my time abroad was extremely useful for improving my language skills and gaining a better understanding of how diverse Latin America really is,” Senior Hannah Smith said.

“Studying abroad is useful because it helps you become more open minded and willing to try new things while you’re there and while you’re back at home.”—Annika Olson

Students that have studied abroad claim that the experience was life changing, challenging and completely worth doing, even if it was outside of their comfort zones.

“My study abroad J-term trip to Germany was incredibly useful, because I learned how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I feel as though I grew as a person and now I have a better grasp of adjusting to unfamiliar situations,” Sophomore Annika Walter said.

The Center for International and Cultural Education (CICE) really pushes Gustavus students to gain the study abroad experience to enhance their educational experience and overall perception of the world. One thing that they want students to know is that studying abroad can be affordable.

“Students should know that study away can be done affordably. There are some programs that are quite affordable and there are several programs that offer scholarships,” Study Abroad Advisor Jill Fischer said.

Students that have studied abroad agree that the experience was worth going through.

“I think my study abroad experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I don’t have a single regret about taking a study abroad. I became very open to different cultures and traditions, and I met some really amazing people on my trip. Studying abroad is useful because it helps you become more open minded and willing to try new things while your there and while your back at home,” Sophomore Annika Olson said.

Students claim to have learned a lot during their study abroad experience and that those experiences helped shape how they live on campus and prosper as students.

“I think Gustavus students should study abroad because it’s good to experience things outside the Gustavus community and outside of where you call home. The things that you experience good or bad on your study abroad you can take those lessons back to your own community,” Olson said.

For more information go to the Gustavus CICE website.