Zach Brown leads Men’s Soccer to playoffs

The Gustavus Men’s Soccer team, defeat Bethel University on Tuesday, Oct. 28, to move to 12-4-1 overall and 6-2-1 in the MIAC. The Gusties are making a strong push towards the upcoming MIAC playoffs. The men are hoping to capitalize on their superior possession on the field and utilize star forward Senior Zach Brown in order to win the MIAC and earn a ticket to the NCAA tournament.

“We are so good in possession…we keep the ball probably 70 to 80 percent of the game, which is unheard of,” Head Coach Mike Middleton said.

Although the team has been in control of the ball for most of the matches, the men are still working on using this to their advantage.

“We really haven’t been outplayed by anyone yet, the games we’ve lost are really from not converting our possession into goals,” Coach Middleton said.

The other major strength, Brown, has been a critical part of the men’s soccer team. Brown is the 2013 MIAC MPV, has been awarded All-Conference in 2012 and 2013, and is also ranked in the top five Gustavus career scoring leaders. Brown has been the top scorer for the men’s soccer team since 2011.

“Zach is an excellent player,” Coach Middleton said when asked about Brown. “He’s quick, he’s dynamic, and he’s good on the ball.”

Senior Midfielder Eric Schneider also appreciates Brown’s role on the team.

“He’s very competitive, but I think that’s one of the reasons why he’s so good,” Schneider said. “I’m glad I’m his teammate, I wouldn’t want to play against him.”

Still, Brown remains humble and focuses on furthering the team as a whole.

“I have been able to help our team succeed, which is really what it is all about. I just try to do everything I can to help the team win,” Brown said.

Throughout his career at Gustavus, Brown has excelled on the field and has majorly contributed to the overall success of the team, including helping the men to win the MIAC tournament the past two years in a row. In addition, Brown has earned the respect of coaches and teammates alike and made many close friendships.

“He is very competetive, but I think that’s one of the reasons why he’s so good. I’m glad I’m his teammate, I wouldn’t want to play against him.”Eric Schneider

“My favorite part of being on the team is being with the guys. The guys on the team are my best friends and I can’t imagine not having them around,” Brown said.

The soccer team is currently tied with Carleton College at second place in the MIAC. To secure the automatic semi-final bid to the playoffs, the Gusties need to defeat Hamline University in the last regular season game on Nov. 1, while Carleton must lose or tie to conference champions St. Olaf.

-Katie Allen

Zach Brown celebrating his game winner against the University of St. Thomas. Brown has been the Gusties’ top scorer for the past four years and is currently leading the team with 10 goals.