Student athletes host Special Olympics

This Sunday, Sept. 28th, Gustavus hosted a Special Olympics Unified Flag Football Tournament for the second time ever. Unified Flag Football is a sport where individuals with and without disabilities play on the same team. Special Olympics athletes from all around Minnesota participated in the event.

“Once I began helping out, I realized that our help is greatly appreciated by the athletes. In turn, I have found myself inspired by the drive and passionate determination of many of these athletes.”Zach Vine

The coordination of the event is the result of a partnership with NCAA Division III and the effort of numerous student-athlete volunteers. According to the NCAA website, “Through this partnership, Division III student-athletes across the country will be encouraged to participate in existing Special Olympics events, create their own events, or otherwise serve to support Special Olympics organization.”

The NCAA also states, “The purpose of the partnership is to improve the lives of Special Olympics athletes through their involvement with Division III student-athletes and to foster a mutual learning experience between Division III student-athletes and Special Olympics athletes.”

However, Gustavus’ relationship with Special Olympics began before the NCAA was involved.

“We are fortunate at Gustavus that a partnership with Special Olympics was established before Division III partnered with Special Olympics. I am not sure when that partnership started, but it seems to me that the Gustavus Greek organizations started this relationship here at Gustavus by volunteering at the Track and Field event that is hosted here at Gustavus in May,” Assistant Athletic Director Kari Eckheart said.

Student-athlete volunteers played various roles in making sure games went smoothly. Some officiated games, while others ran the scoreboards and clocks. They’re also around to cheer at the awards ceremony. Senior Health Fitness major Zach Vine enjoyed volunteering and found plenty of value in doing so.

“Once I began helping out, I realized that our help is greatly appreciated by the athletes. In turn, I have found myself inspired by the drive and passionate determination of many of these athletes. My favorite part of helping out would definitely be when an athlete does a good job and everyone goes crazy cheering for him or her. It is awesome to see their hard work pay off. I also want to note how impressive the sportsmanship of many of these athletes –they are truly supportive of each other,” Vine said.

Junior Public Accounting Major Chad Poppen had a similar experience, finding that volunteering for the event Sunday was a great opportunity for service.

“I am involved in the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, and one of the big components of this group is community service, so using the members of the Men’s Basketball team to give back to the community was what drew myself and teammates to the event,” Poppen said. The football team was also a major source of help. “I only had to make an announcement after a football practice to get an influx of willing volunteers,” Vine said.

For those Gustavus student-athletes who volunteered, Sunday’s tournament was memorable.

“The pure joy and excitement the athletes experience is something we all can learn from since they show an absolute love for the game and express it in a way that is very touching,” Poppen concluded.

-William Metcalf