Senior Spotlight: Caitlin Fermoyle

This recurring segment will highlight a senior Gustavus athlete each week.

Q: What are your expectations for the season?

A: We have a large group of new runners on the team who competed in their first full-length race two weeks ago on a very difficult course. I think they will see some major drops in time this week at St. Olaf and through the rest of the season as they get more comfortable with the 6k race distance. Our returning athletes have put in a lot of miles over the last year and many of them have already seen their hard work pay off in our first two races. The returners have done a great job so far leading the team and bringing everyone together. I’m excited to be a part of this team and I don’t think there is a limit to what we can accomplish this year.

Q: What is your best athletic memory?
A:Winning the MIAC Championship two years ago. Being able to accomplish that as a team and for that group of seniors was amazing. I remember Rebecca Hare pulling me through the last mile and when we ran by Brenden in the last turn of the race, he had lost his voice from cheering so much. The second we crossed the finish line we knew we had done it, even before we saw the results.

Q: Why would you recommend Gustavus?

A:The people and the tradition. The athletes that were older when I was a first-year are some of my best friends today and they still call me to ask about the team and how the season is going. I’ve also now had the chance to see three classes of younger athletes join the program and develop as runners and as people. The common bond and sense of community between everyone, past and present, is a feature of not only the Cross Country team but of Gustavus in general.