Tales from Abroad: Adventures in the Land of 10,000 Bikes.

Danes like to joke that they are born with a bike between their legs, and I must admit, the caricature holds some truth. In fact, there are more bikes than inhabitants in København, Denmark and over 50 percent of the population uses a bike during their daily commute, including me.

My day begins in the countryside town of Farum; breakfast with my host sister and brother, a cup of black coffee, and I’m out the door. The crisp, autumn wind and caffeine in my blood wake me as I pedal my rickety, one-gear bike to the station. I may pass a woman in heels with a dog in her bike basket or a teen late for class. Fat, skinny, old or hungover, everyone graces the abundant bike lanes of Denmark.

After locking my bike up in the lot, as if anyone would want the old rust bucket, I board the train to København. The public transportation is quick, relatively cheap, and accessible for anyone. I use the S-train’s free wifi to finish any homework I’ve neglected during the 35 minute ride to Nørreport Station.

Once in the city, I make my way through the maze of construction, dodging speedy bikers and trying not to ogle too conspicuously at the culture surrounding me. In minutes I am in the center of the city, where I go to school, where 600-year-old ghosts reside in the cool, coastal breeze.

One of the best after school hangouts is Studenterhuset, where the Danish Institute for Study Abroad and København’s university students get discounts on coffee and beer. From there, one could visit a castle or the parliament building, walk along the pedestrian street or stand by the ocean, climb the spiral tower or just get lost, all within walking (or biking) distance. If it’s sunny out, though, I usually go home to Farum and walk in the rolling, grassy fields or through the quiet, lakeside forest.

I miss you all on the hill and look forward to coming home, but, for now, I’m loving this Scandinavian paradise.

-Brynn Makela