Thank you, seniors!

Each spring, as graduation edges nearer, the time comes to reflect on the accomplishments of the senior class. This year’s senior athletes were an especially talented group, and The Gustavian Weekly would like to congratulate every graduating senior who participated in athletics during their time at Gustavus—whether it was on an intramural team, in a club sport, or as part of a varsity program.

Thank you for contributing to the athletic success of Gustavus, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

The seniors presented here are ten individuals who have have stood out in their sport this year, and have been recognized by the Sports & Fitness section staff as the top ten senior athletes. Covering these athletes’ athletic accomplishments this year has been a pleasure and we are thankful for all they have done during their four years at Gustavus on and off the field, track, court, pool, or course.

Submitted
Submitted

Alissa Tinklenberg

Swimming & Diving

“I have learned that hard work, determination and perseverance pay off in the end if you mix those three things with fun and great people. It has been an amazing experience to be able to focus on both academics and athletics at the same time—I’m thrilled I chose a Division III school and I’m even more thrilled I chose to attend Gustavus.”

All-American, 2012, 2013 & 2014

Submitted
Submitted

Joe Renier

Cross Country and Track & Field

“I have learned that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. Coming into my freshman year, I would never believe I would be where I am now. I have had great mentors who have taught me that hard work and consistency in training will pay off over four years. Let me tell you, they weren’t lying.”

Hollingsworth’s Key – highest scholastic average of a senior male athlete

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Melissa Doyle

Hockey

“Over the past four years I learned to develop thicker skin and a softer heart. I’ve been able to understand how vital embracing ones role is, the importance of words of affirmation, and most importantly, I have been able to see how awesome things are when you allow faith to root itself into sports and friendships.”

Career: 34 goals, 29 assists = 63 points

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Cameron Clause

Track & Field

“As an athlete at Gustavus, I have learned to cherish the good moments and to not dwell on the bad. I have had plenty of both over my career, but I’m going to remember my successes and the fun that I had.”

All-American, 2013 & 2014

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Jeffrey Dubose

Football

As a running back, Jeffrey Dubose broke Gustavus football records for most rushing yards in a single season, most career rushing touchdowns, most rushing yards in a single game, most rushing touchdowns in a single season, and most career rushing yards.

All-American Honorable Mention, 2013

Submitted
Submitted

Marian Lund

Nordic Skiing

Lund finished first for the Gusties at numerous meets throughout the season—including all three of the meets the team competed in during the month of January. Lund recorded the best finish of her career at the second NCAA Qualifier in January.

2014 National Collegiate All-Academic Team

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Julia Dysthe

Basketball

“I have learned so much from being an athlete at Gustavus. Being a student-athlete has taught me how to manage my time, how to better be part of a team, and how to work hard. These lessons have been invaluable.”

Career: 802 points, 44.9 percent shooter

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Juan Luis Chu

Tennis

Chu has been a solid performer throughout the fall and spring seasons for the men’s tennis team, consistently winning in both singles and doubles matches.

All-Conference, 2011 & 2012

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Corey Leivermann

Hockey

“I have learned a lot since I’ve been here—mostly how incredibly close all Gustavus athletes are and how each team cares a lot about each other and representing Gustavus as a whole. I’ve also learned a lot from the coaching staff and want to thank them as well.”

All-American, 2014

Gustavus Sports Information
Gustavus Sports Information

Blair Riegel

Track & Field

“While being an athlete at Gustavus I have learned that a fine balance is needed between sports and academics. I also learned that there are a lot of ups and downs and one needs to cherish what they still have even through the lows.”

Holds Gustavus Indoor Triple Jump Record: 46 – 3.25 (2012)