Finished game: Road to graduation

As graduation looms near for Gustavus seniors, memories made throughout the last four years begin flooding back to most on a day-by-day basis.

Within the past four years seniors have been witness to many important campus events such as Midnight Express, the Royal Visit, and Christmas in Christ Chapel. They have also been witness to many much more far-reaching events such as Obama’s reelection, the Global recession, and Hurricane Katrina. While these events hold an obvious importance, this time of year when asked to think back on their most memorable moments at Gustavus, seniors seem to remember the little things most.

They speak of their first day moving in as first-years and making new friends or their first time viewing a theatre production at Gustavus. They remember their last athletic meets and their final decision on what to study.

Each event holds a certain sense of importance to each individual in its own way, so as graduation approaches, take a look at the events Gustavus seniors remember most. Perhaps it will spark some of your own memories or provide an example as to the memories you will make as you continue your own journey.

Gustavus seniors look back as they prepare to graduate

First-Year move in day

“It was so overwhelming coming here not knowing anyone, and then meeting some of my best friends in life all in the same first-year dorm” -Andrew Void

First-Year Orientation 

“It was so much fun to get to know each other and experience the college life. It symbolized a new chapter in my life. What’s amazing is that I got to write it.” -Blia Xiong

“Then.Here.Begin”(gala concert at ACDFA) 

“Performing in the gala was an amazing honor that I got to share with six of my closest friends. We were able to move an audience and showcase ourselves as people and dancers.” -Allie Kalkman

First theatre production

“Seeing my first theatre production here, R&J. It’s story on same-sex romance showed me how unafraid and powerful theatre could be, especially compared to high school productions.” -Jessica VanKempen

Final Gymnastics meet

“My freshman year I suffered a T1 fracture in my neck from a dismount on the uneven bars. With the support of my team, I was able to heal and worked my way into lineup the following year.” -Brittany Hancock

Choosing what to study

“My eyes were opened to the limitless beauty of the universe by studying the art of Physics. God’s universe is a complex and unfathomably beautiful painting.” -Elliot Bell

Meeting my fiance

“Meeting the person I want to spend the rest of my life with three and a half years ago now seems like a dream and definitely one of my best memories.” -Becca Elin

The Royal Visit

“The royal visit was memorable because it really showed me how actually important this place is.” -Rob Ward

Habitat for Humanity

“Besides meeting some awesome people, I have learned that poverty takes on different forms. It is inspirational to hear people’s stories, and I look forward to helping more in the future.” -Joe Renier

Christmas Crew

“Christmas Crew with my friends is this little tradition we started since freshman year where we have a party on the Saturday night before finals every year just to have tons of fun before facing finals.” -Mikie Phan

Christmas in Christ Chapel

“CinCC is by far my favorite Gustavus tradition. Music has always had such a stong presence in my life and through my music experiences, I have been introduced to some of the  most wonderful people.” -Alecia Woods

St. Lucia Festival

“The St. Lucia Festival during my sophomore year at Gustavus was one of the most magical days I have ever experienced during my time here.”  -Ellen Kreuger

Midnight Express

“I was being introduced to all of the traditions that make the campus what it is. It amazed me to see a place that everyone on campus came together to celebrate.” -Abby Schnorr